Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Remember the Olfa mat peeling? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/remember-olfa-mat-peeling-t35130.html)

BARES 01-25-2010 11:14 PM

I bought an Olfa mat last year (summer). I placed it in the back of my SUV and drove home. It was hot when I took it out of my car and I put it on my table. It cooled off fine - then the next morning one side of it was warped. I took it back to JoAnn Fabrics but they wouldn't take it and said that they had problems with most of the Olfa's. I can't afford to buy another one as I am on disablility. I have really needed a good large mat, as quilting is therapy for me since my mother, one of my sisters', a nephew, and a brother-in-law died last year. My mother was a great quilter and it is comforting to me.

Kryssa 01-25-2010 11:40 PM

Contact the company. There was someone else on this board who had issues with her mat and they replaced it.

BARES 01-26-2010 03:05 PM

Thank you. I will contact them. :-D

Baywatch quilter 01-26-2010 04:49 PM

Unfortunately, you probably won't get Olfa to replace... as there is a warning on their product that it cannot tolerate heat/sun. I hope they will... you would think with all the space age products... that Olfa could do something to their product to protect these kinds of mats. As a rule when it is very hot or very cold I never take these mats to class, vacation, or a friends house...because they are so very sensitive.

BARES 01-26-2010 11:24 PM

I think you are probably right even tho I bought it and took it straight home. It was 115 degrees out that day and I wasn't wanting to be out in it any longer than necessary. I laid it flat in the back of my SUV, but the sun did come thru the windows and the heat was nearly unbearable. I didn't expect it to warp tho.

When I took it back the staff at JoAnn's said that people had lots of problems with them. I guess if they lose business due to lousy customer service and product maybe they will start listening to us. :x

littlehud 01-31-2010 10:02 PM

If you just had it in the car for the trip home I wouldn't think that would make it warp. I think they need to replace it.

Connie1948 02-01-2010 04:59 AM

I took mine to a quilting friends house so we could both get a lot of cutting done. I put mine in the trunk for my 30 minute drive home on a hot day.......It is a wavy mess! I tried to flatten it with weights outside on a hot day...did not work! This was a big mat and now I have to replace it. I sure miss it. I am using a smaller one for now. Mine was the one to cover a large cutting table. Is there one that does not warp in the heat? Someone told me June Tailor's warranty their's not to warp. I guess we all need to check this out.
Connie

crashnquilt 02-01-2010 06:42 AM

Contact Olfa and tell them what happened. They may be able to give you a solution. Olfa is a very good company. I don't know about the June Tailor mats not warping. I have one of their mats but am not very fond of it.