Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   removing pink chalk marks -- that have been on quilt for 20+ years (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/removing-pink-chalk-marks-have-been-quilt-20-years-t79177.html)

RST 11-28-2010 01:22 AM

Deep blush, but I just finished a long neglected quilt -- queen sized applique of bright flowers on a white on white fabric. This was actually my first full quilt ever, and I did a lot of things then that I would never do now -- like mark the lines for quilting with a pink chalk marker.

I've run it through the wash with woolite on a gentle cycle, and air dried. I've worked over it with a soft brush and some laundry detergent. This stuff is stubborn, and it's not coming out in some places.

Anyone have some suggestions? (besides the obvious one of not letting a big project languish for that long)

RST

Flying_V_Goddess 11-28-2010 02:12 AM

I looked it up and besides what you have already done, other suggestions were:

*Using Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (rub gently)

*For heavy chalk marks, apply white vinegar to a soft cloth and gently rubbing the chalk marks (they suggest a white cloth to avoid transfering color to your quilt). Let it air dry and wash in cool water.

ckcowl 11-28-2010 03:29 AM

depending on the (stability) of the other fabrics in the quilt; i have used Shout laundry stain remover successfully taking out pink chalk. for some reason anything with (red) tends to bleed/stain/spot and be the hardest to get out. i use only white and blue chalk now, the pink always seems to be a bugger to get out. good luck.

MZStitch 11-28-2010 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
depending on the (stability) of the other fabrics in the quilt; i have used Shout laundry stain remover successfully taking out pink chalk. for some reason anything with (red) tends to bleed/stain/spot and be the hardest to get out. i use only white and blue chalk now, the pink always seems to be a bugger to get out. good luck.

I also have used Shout. I have the best results with shout gel for some reason.

Holice 11-28-2010 05:38 AM

I really hate to say it but washing and drying may have set the pink dye in the chalk. the only thing to do is try some of the suggestions above on a small section to see if they work. The color chalk really are difficult for me. For that reason I only use white, light grey or dark grey. Brand is from General and is their line of Multi Pastel chalk.

tortoisethreads 11-28-2010 06:07 AM

I had an experience with using the wrong marker to mark a quilt. I ended up using hair spray to get the stuff out. It did work. I don't know if you could try that on chalk...it might work.

beckyw 11-28-2010 06:24 AM

goo gone works

bluteddi 11-28-2010 11:27 AM

how about those * TIDE * stain out pens? I know they worked on a laundred placemant that had a old chili stain.... stain be gone!!! worked great!

RST 11-28-2010 06:13 PM

I don't think it's "set" as it does diminish with each successive washing. I've not dried it -- just line dry while I work on it, then throw it in the washer again for a full wash.

I'll try Shout and the Tide markers. I was unsure on the vinegar -- that's what I always use to "set" colors that want to bleed, so it seems wrong to use it to remove color, but then, vinegar is awesome for some cleaning applications. Not sure.

Anyhow, it's getting a pleasantly aged appearance from all the washing and scrubbing I'm doing -- much like a 20 year old quilt should look ; )

RST

RST 11-29-2010 04:32 PM

Yay. The Shout took all but the very faintest stain out. I'm probably the only one who can see it, just because I know where to look.

Thank you all for the input.

RST