Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Repairing My Own Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repairing-my-own-machine-t183492.html)

DiannaC 03-20-2012 03:44 PM

Repairing My Own Machine

Greetings, Fellow Quilters!
I have learned so much from all of you, but this is my first time to speak up. The other day there was a thread about the high cost of having our machines repaired, and I felt encouraged to do some of my own - like cleaning and oiling. I've been finishing up some UFO's, thanks to your encouragement last year, and my machine stopped threading my needle, so I've been investigating what is going on. I have a Baby Lock, Quilter's Choice, sold by the local Bernina dealer. I had my husband unscrew the front cover and check out the workings of the threader. A "gizmo" slides on a bar with some plastic parts. It doesn't want to slide, so my husband suggested we spray it with silicone spray. That is supposed to lubricate plastic. When I took the new owner classes for the machine, I was told to NEVER spray anything in or on the machine. I don't quite trust the Bernina repairman because when I took my Elna serger to him to fix, he mixed up the color-coded parts and didn't fix it either, even though he said he could fix it. Another repairman showed me there was a burr on a part that needed to be carefully sanded off. What do you wonderfully knowledgeable sewers think about the silicone spray? I surely don't want to do more damage. Thanks for you help, Dianna

Dolphyngyrl 03-20-2012 04:20 PM

Do not spray anything into a computerized machine at all. Leave that to the dealers. computerized machines are very sensitive. if you don't care for your dealer i suggest finding a new one. computerized machines are not as easy to do it yourself as the mechanical machines and I don't recommend that on an expensive machine like that.

Candace 03-20-2012 04:38 PM

You will void your warranty if someone other than a certified tech. opens your machine. If it's out of warranty you can do some detective work and take a chance. But, if it's still under warranty..take it in for service.

Kat Sews 03-21-2012 05:11 AM

I don't spray anything into my machine. I do all my own maintenance on all my machines and when a plastic piece needs lubricating I use a little Lithium grease applied with a cotton swab. There are many free sites online to help with good information to help guide you thru the process.

jcrow 03-21-2012 07:02 AM

I wouldn't do any work on my sewing machine. It's computerized and I had problems with the needle threader and was manually moving it back in place (it would get stuck after threading the needle) and finally took it to the dealer. It took him over a week to fix it. I shouldn't have moved the needle threader. I really screwed it up. Thankfully he was able to fix it after tearing everything apart and he didn't even charge me. He told me to keep my mitts off the machine when it came to repairs. And I am going to obey him (I never obey anyone).

Tartan 03-21-2012 09:02 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If you have a warranty on it I would bring it to an authorized dealer or you can void the warranty. Since you don' t like the dealer that sold it to you, perhaps you can find another in your area that will honor the warranty. If you don't have a warranty, look into the prices for a general cleaning a maintainance from a shop you like. When a good repairman cleans your machine, they should also "dress" the moving parts with a gel like lubricant. I would not spray anything into a computerized machine myself in case it migrated into the circuit board.