Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   repeating a project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repeating-project-t221221.html)

solstice3 05-12-2013 04:45 AM

placemats I might be able to handle but multiple quilts ...don't think so...

patchsamkim 05-12-2013 04:48 AM

Much more fun sewing new patterns, use different fabrics than sewing the same thing with the same fabric...nice though that your Mom appreciates what you do for her.

tessagin 05-12-2013 07:34 AM

I get bored really fast if I have to repeat and there's no challenge.

Sewnoma 05-12-2013 08:06 AM

Nice!! I used that same bird fabric in a quilt for my MIL. It's lovely fabric!

I'm with you on not wanting to re-do things. For me it's not the quantity so much, it's that that once I'm done...I'm DONE. I bet if you made 8 right from the start it would have felt different than making four, being DONE, and then suddenly being NOT DONE and making 4 more.

I hate un-checking "completed" things on checklists too. Same feeling!

BarbaraSue 05-12-2013 11:06 AM

I sympathize with you. You can begin to feel like an assembly line when you make multiples of anything. I was making wedding dresses for a while, but it mostly became making bridesmaid's dresses. Every one the same for the # of the girls in the party. I felt like a factory unto myself. Very little creativity. Making knockoffs is not my cup of tea, but it was requested time and again.
What might help you in the future is to make 8 of napkins or placemats for your mother. Or you could make table runners for different holidays. similar pattern but different fabrics. Good Luck.

glenda5253 05-12-2013 03:56 PM

I'm in a repeating pattern myself and am quite bored with the project...trying to muddle through.

Friday1961 05-12-2013 04:09 PM

I recently made 4 placemats and I feel your pain. Not sure I could make eight of the same kind! The first one is a creative exploration, working it all out, being surprised and pleased by the result. The second one is just rinse, repeat.
Being bored by making the same thing again always makes me think of my grandmother, who had 7 daughters, including a set of twins. She made all the girls' clothes and always made the twins identical dresses. My mother told me that her mother said the first twin dress was fun, the second one a chore. But she continued to make their dresses alike......probably just grumbling a bit on the second one!

Cybrarian 05-12-2013 05:36 PM

I would say in the future I'd make 2 coordinating sets of 4 such as all same shape but complimentary fabrics or same fabrics but vary how they appear in the design or same fabrics 2 different shapes something like that. You're a good daughter.

quiltmom04 05-12-2013 06:50 PM

Yeah, I get bored with placemats, too. But I sure do love having 12 placemats, not only for a crowd, but to always have clean ones when some are in the wash. I'm not a fan or repeatedly doing the same project, which I'm sure is why I don't earn a living sewing!

lclang 05-13-2013 04:15 AM

One year for Christmas I made some large chicken placemats. I made a bunch of them and one granddaughter asked for two more so she could invite her in-laws to dinner and have enough...They were quite tedious and I really hated making more but did it anyway. It was a JOB!