Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Report from "Bert" in Farah Afghanistan (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/report-%22bert%22-farah-afghanistan-t71745.html)

Jan in VA 10-22-2010 06:47 PM

Bert told us today that the first shipment of quilts has not yet arrived for the soldiers. :( He said there is a 14 TON backlog of mail for them!! (I told you this place is the backside of nowhere!) I can't remember whether that last quilt shipment went Priority or not, and that may be affecting the delivery. Inside, I am desperate for these men to receive our mail, picturing that they have been without much contact since arriving in this place in July. (14 tons??!!)

But this week's shipment of the next 10 finished quilts WAS sent Priority so hopefully it will get there in a reasonable time. (That is "reasonable" to loved ones, not the Army, it would seem.)

Bert also told us he fell off a roof while on patrol and was shipped back to Farah FOB for examination and xrays. He's fine, just bruised and shaken up, no head trauma; but it is very telling of their situation that his own FOB (Forward Operating Base) has only a medic, not someone with training or equipment to care for the commanding officer or any serious needs.

I can only shake my head and continue to lift these men in prayer. His Banner over them is Love.

Jan in VA

craftybear 10-22-2010 06:49 PM

I hope Bert starts feeling better soon and can't wait to see pictures of the guys with the cool quilts, thanks for keeping us posted

sahm4605 10-22-2010 06:50 PM

all we can do is pray that the lord will send his angels to be with those men and women who are over there. I hope that your quilts will get there soon. they truly do need a good happy cry from home if they have 14 tons of mail waiting to get to them.

quilttiludrop 10-22-2010 06:50 PM

Thanks for sharing, Jan! You have definitely found a worhwhile niche!

CarrieAnne 10-22-2010 07:06 PM

Thanks Jan, its so intresting to hear the stories you tell. I am so glad that Bert is okay.

np3 10-22-2010 07:16 PM

Thanks for letting us know what is going on.

EdieClay 10-22-2010 08:11 PM

Jan, thanks for the update. We'll continue to pray for the safety of the men and women in service there, for the quilts to arrive soon, and for us to bring our soldiers home soon. I can just imagine their faces when all these beautiful quilts arrive ... it makes me smile just thinking about it.

luvTooQuilt 10-22-2010 08:19 PM

Thoughts and payers goes out to them and their families stateside, and for the quilts made with love and hope arrive safely..

mrspete 10-22-2010 09:03 PM

I do not know a one of these soldiers, but I feel a connection. The Mother in me cries for them. Dear Lord, please keep our sons and daughters safe. I am still sewing for them.

tooMuchFabric 10-23-2010 12:43 AM

Priority probably just works up til the mail hits the APO. After that it's up to Uncle to get the mail to the endpoints.
Hope the quilts get there soon!!