Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Repurposing cutting mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/repurposing-cutting-mats-t169340.html)

bfvsloggie 11-21-2011 02:13 PM

Repurposing cutting mats

I have 2 cutting mats I no longer use. One is warped from being left in a hot car, the other is a brand I did not like. I started to throw them out and then it occurred to me someone may have found a way to reuse these mats. I'm looking forward to seeing your input, thanks.

amma 11-21-2011 02:36 PM

You can cut one of them smaller and use it as a rotating mat on top of your other one for squaring up blocks.
They would make good bottom pieces for purses and totes too :) :) :)

Drue 11-21-2011 02:45 PM

My DH takes my old ones and uses them in his shop. He put one on a top of a cabinet or something and he can use it when he needs to cut something with one of those retactable razor cutters that all guys have...LOL( I have a couple as well). He used one for a neighbor that wanted him to make a fish cleaning station for him...he screwed the edges down on a treated piece of plywood next to the sink for the cleaning station...works like a champ! Now they can clean the fish and not cut into the wood and it can all be cleaned and hosed off and be outside in the weather. I have also cut one into smaller pieces, using the sections that I didn't "use up" to have little cutting areas next to my machines and to carry with me when I need a small cutting mat.

QuiltnNan 11-21-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by amma (Post 4706898)
You can cut one of them smaller and use it as a rotating mat on top of your other one for squaring up blocks.
They would make good bottom pieces for purses and totes too :) :) :)

Amma, thanks for posting that. I have a large, a med and a small mat. i never thought of using the small on top of the other for rotating :)

EmbQuilt 11-21-2011 03:03 PM

I've read that some people cut them up for the bottom of purses

DonnaB 11-21-2011 06:56 PM

Cut them up with scissors, in smaller lots, to take to classes. If you have too many small ones, offer them to your quilting buddies.

quiltinghere 11-21-2011 07:16 PM

Either cut the good parts off and do lots of cutting on them in an effort to save your new big mat.

If it's not too terribly warped (and maybe if it is) you can always try to use contact cement to glue it to a smooth board. You apply the cement to both the board and the mat, then put them together. It may take a couple of people to get it smooth. You'll also need weight to hold it down while it cures.

Merivale 11-21-2011 07:26 PM

They would cut up into wonderful templates. The bottom of handbags has already been mentioned and indeed another good idea. DH would like it for lining tool boxes, cutting on in workshop.

Susanna10 11-21-2011 07:30 PM

thank you. some very good ideas here

ging10ging 11-21-2011 07:33 PM

The first mat I bought was at lunch time and I left it in my car while I was in work not realizing that the heat would make it warp never could get it to lay flat again. Thanks for the idea of cement and a board sounds like that would work. I'm so glad it wasn't one of the big mats I was so upset when I saw it. We do learn by our mistakes. Sue