Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   researching new quilting/sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/researching-new-quilting-sewing-machine-t224045.html)

dirtdiva 06-19-2013 07:46 AM

researching new quilting/sewing machine

Hi all, I am new to quilting and am addicted! I have sewn for many, MANY years, and recently took several quilting classes. I own a Brother Pacesetter PC8500...very nice machine, but mainly an embroidering/sewing machine. I'm researching new machines....more quilting/sewing type machines. Have looked at Janome and Brother machines....leaning toward another Brother....love mine and find it very user friendly. I'm looking at the following Brother machines....any input pro/con would be appreciated! Brother NX450Q, NX800 Innov is Laura Ashley, PC420PRW, and QC1000. Price range...I don't want to spend more than $1500, plan to trade in PC8500.
thanks!
:thumbup::thumbup:

mckwilter 06-19-2013 08:17 AM

IMHO, keep your PC8500. You may want to use the embroidery function to create labels or to add that little something extra to a quilt, and if it is also a sewing machine, you will have something to use if your new machine has to go in for some TLC.

My first choice for a machine is always a Bernina. Many will not use anything but a Janome. Juki and Baby Lock also make nice machines. If you can wait until the Quilt Festival in November, you will be able to test drive a lot of machines, many of which will be on sale. I don't know what dealers are in Magnolia, but I do know Quilters Quarters in Conroe carries machines.

For $1,500, you should be able to get a nice machine. My suggestion is to always go with a dealer, because you can test drive the machines and a dealer will be able to do repairs and have accessories (additional feet, bobbins, etc.) on hand.

nvb50 06-19-2013 08:44 AM

Husqvarna Viking Ruby Delux or Diamond delux. Both embroidery and able to FMQ.

Jingle 06-19-2013 01:07 PM

My only suggestion is to keep your machine and not trade it in. You will need a back up machine.

QuiltnNan 06-19-2013 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter (Post 6131431)
IMHO, keep your PC8500. You may want to use the embroidery function to create labels or to add that little something extra to a quilt, and if it is also a sewing machine, you will have something to use if your new machine has to go in for some TLC....

I agree. i have an 8500 and it works very well. i'd miss it if i didn't have it for the few projects and all the quilt labels i make. imho, you won't get the trade in value that it's worth.

EllieGirl 06-19-2013 05:33 PM

Keep the old machine! I just bought a Brother Dreamweaver XE which is a combo. I had a Brother SE400. If I had the right table size I would have both machines up, using the SE for piecing and the XE for embroidery and quilting.

Dolphyngyrl 06-19-2013 09:02 PM

I had the babylock espire(QC-1000) before I got dreamy and I loved my baby, she FMQ nice, pieced lovely