Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rethink my opinions. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rethink-my-opinions-t207481.html)

margie77072 12-02-2012 09:38 AM

Rethink my opinions.

I just realized today that thanks to the QB I have had to rethink my opinions about some styles of quilts. I really started out with quite a few preconceived opinions about quilts. I wasn't interested in paper piecing because it looked too hard (it's my absolute favorite method for quilt making now). I didn't like rag quilts, looked to unfinished to me. I wasn't thrilled with scrap quilts, either, too unplanned for my tastes etc, etc. You get the idea. This board has forced me to re examine my opinions. Just today QuiltforPD posted the prettiest rag quilt I have ever seen. It was so awesome, now I want to make one. I've seen some truly beautiful scrappy quilts here too. As a matter of fact, I've saved some for inspiration. So, why did I have all those preconceived ideas about quilts? Who knows.....perhaps it was because I had not been exposed to quilting until a few years ago. I'm 50+ years old, so that means I've held some of these opinions for 40+ years. I've missed out on so much about quilting. The funniest thing is, at the beginning of my quilting experience I thought that traditional pieced quilt designs (4-patch, 9-patch, etc.) would be what I loved to do. Guess what, traditional piecing is my least favorite method of quilt making. The idea of doing the same patch over and over is totally unappealing. So I do samplers when doing traditional pieced quilts or I do paper pieced samplers. I just wanted to encourage everyone, especially our younger members, to not dismiss anything about quilting until you have tried it or at the very least have an idea on how it's done. You never know what you may discover.

pumpkinpatchquilter 12-02-2012 09:42 AM

I am totally with you there! A LOT of people have these ideas stuck in their heads about what quilts are...but thanks to the internet the quilting community, while still small, we are really connected and we get the opportunity to see quilts we never would have otherwise. It's really amazing when you think about it!

Glad to hear you came around on the paper piecing - I LOVE IT!!! I paper piece probably half of all the quilts I make. It's a technique that can take you above and beyond what generations before us could do. :)

mighty 12-02-2012 12:25 PM

I so agree! This board has opened me up to so many things. I still have so much to learn and have already learned so much, thank to all the help available here!!!!

Patti25314 12-02-2012 12:42 PM

Me, too! I find that I keep adding "I want to do that one, too". I'm so far behind now-- lol.

Annaquilts 12-02-2012 12:44 PM

Glad to hear you got liberated! Hahahah Enjoy your quilting journey.

justflyingin 12-02-2012 02:18 PM

I agree with you about so many things you said! In a way, it feels like I'm just "waking up" to all the possibilities with quilting and embroidery--and I feel like I've missed out completely on years of being able to sew and create! Wow...where was I? Actually I know...I was raising my kids.

Anyway...yes, I agree. QB has exposed me to so many different styles of things and I've learned so much from people here. And if I ever need to know something...all I have to do is ask. Someone is willing to help me!

I never even know what "paper piecing" was --or that it was anything--until I read about it here. Applique? Nah...looked too hard, you know...on and on. Now there is a list of things I still want to do, but that is what is wonderful about 70,000+ members...(I think I read that), there is always someone 'on' the board and there are so many styles and tastes represented that we can learn to appreciate "the whole picture" and not just our preconceived notion of 'quilting'.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-02-2012 02:59 PM

Even more than styles the board has opened my mind to colors. I'm always seeing a quilt on here that I just love at first glance. When I look closer, I realize I would have rejected that fabric on the bolt in the store. Now I try to look at things in the store that I'm not attracted to at first because I know it can work into a beautiful quilt.

ube quilting 12-02-2012 03:18 PM

Well Done! I saw the same rag quilts you did! Maybe there should be a different name for them. I felt the same way about them untill i saw the pics from two posters.

I'll try anything once, well almost anything!
peace

Dolphyngyrl 12-02-2012 08:47 PM

That's why i am a firm believer in trying new things and I always try to take a class at least once a year in something I have never done or am scared to do. But I think there is just a stigma out there about quilter because I was told by a young man the only old ladies quilt. Had to shed a few pieces of knowledge on him that not only young people quilted but men do as well

quiltjoey 12-02-2012 09:05 PM

I have learned so much from the QB and all the members! I was so afraid to even begin to try to quilt. I've only been trying to do it for about 5 years now. Made a king size quilt for as a beginner and boy, did I figure out I didn't know much and battled discouragement and difficulties. Rotary cutting is the hardest for me to do, even now. Some days, I just can't figure out how to arrange the fabric to cut it. I even go to you tube and watch videos on how to rotary cut!! I have learned paper-piecing and love it. Needle-turn applique was the only thing I knew how to do and was unhappy that it took so long by hand so that's when I really decided to take the plunge into machine piecing and quilting. I have found it is one of my most favorite things to do and is very calming and gets me away from the everyday grind. I love the QB and totally appreciate all of the members sharing their wealth of knowledge and willingness to teach dummies like me that want to ask silly questions but were afraid to for fear of being ridiculed or made fun of or laughed at. I have found that to be just the opposite on the board. I hope to work on a old pattern-type modern quilt someday. I would like to thank everyone for all their knowledge, help, understanding and kindness about everything not just quilting... kindly, JoAnn