Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rice bags (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rice-bags-t76662.html)

Margie 11-15-2010 10:48 PM

I have never made the rice bags(heated in microwave) used to keep foods hot to take along .
Do you just use cotton fabric and fill with dry rice?

I am wondering if you could make them to fit under dishes when you serve buffet style so the food will stay hot?

Has anyone made them?? If so, how long do you heat them up in microwave??

Lots of questions here :)

luvTooQuilt 11-15-2010 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
I have never made the rice bags(heated in microwave) used to keep foods hot to take along .
Do you just use cotton fabric and fill with dry rice?

I am wondering if you could make them to fit under dishes when you serve buffet style so the food will stay hot?

Has anyone made them?? If so, how long do you heat them up in microwave??

Lots of questions here :)

my MIL mad them with heavy-er weight cotton fabric.. Duck fabric?? not sure what its called but she made them in all different sizes and shapes.. they were/are awesome.. I think we heated them for 30 seconds..Didn't take long at all to heat up..

VickyS 11-15-2010 10:59 PM

I use cotton flannel and fill with dry rice - but any material you aren't afraid to put in the microwave would probably work..

I usually make them about 6" by 18" - big enough to go around my shoulders or waist to help an achy neck or back.

I make a maze type of pattern in stitching it so the rice doesn't all lump together, but remains fairly evenly distributed.

Time to heat in the microwave: 2 minutes - lasts between 20 - 40 minutes, depending on how cool you can stand it.

2 minutes gets it too hot to handle, but it quickly cools down to reasonable. Sometimes I have to wrap it in a towel or use potholders when it first comes out of the microwave.

After the 19th of this month, I can probably put a tutorial together on this, since it isn't that hard to do.

I've made lots of them, and my kids and friends keep taking them. They can not be washed. You can keep on using it until you get a burnt toast smell out of the rice. It is normal to have a nutty smell when it comes out of the microwave. Very soothing.

roda 11-15-2010 11:14 PM

i've used them on little critters when they've got chilled in winter

amma 11-16-2010 01:38 AM

I made mine out of flannel and used cotton thread. You don't want to use anything but cotton to make these.
Depending on how much rice you use, will determine how long they will stay hot.
You may want to consider making a sleeve to slip them into, so that if there is a spill you are able to wash it.
They won't keep a dish hot like a chafing dish will, but they do help to keep it warm. I have used them packed around a casserole dish while traveling to a dinner :D:D:D

plainpat 11-16-2010 01:43 AM

Lots of rice bag info on this thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....ce+bags&u=&s=0

Jan in VA 11-16-2010 04:21 AM

I used to make these for my birthing clients for use on thelower back hip joints in labor. Flannel, cheapest rice, a tiny bit of lavendar buds, about 6"x12." They were huggable, warm, a back bracing pillow when side-lying, fit under a neck, or propped an arm when nursing. The moms all loved them.

Jan in VA

Short an Sweet 11-16-2010 04:39 AM

I would love to see a tute on these!!!

Originally Posted by VickyS
I use cotton flannel and fill with dry rice - but any material you aren't afraid to put in the microwave would probably work..

I usually make them about 6" by 18" - big enough to go around my shoulders or waist to help an achy neck or back.

I make a maze type of pattern in stitching it so the rice doesn't all lump together, but remains fairly evenly distributed.

Time to heat in the microwave: 2 minutes - lasts between 20 - 40 minutes, depending on how cool you can stand it.

2 minutes gets it too hot to handle, but it quickly cools down to reasonable. Sometimes I have to wrap it in a towel or use potholders when it first comes out of the microwave.

After the 19th of this month, I can probably put a tutorial together on this, since it isn't that hard to do.

I've made lots of them, and my kids and friends keep taking them. They can not be washed. You can keep on using it until you get a burnt toast smell out of the rice. It is normal to have a nutty smell when it comes out of the microwave. Very soothing.

Shelbie 11-16-2010 04:43 AM

Since I live on a farm and we grow wheat, oats and barley, I use home grown grains instead of rice. Wheat holds the heat a little longer as it is a denser kernel than oats or barley. All give a nutty or porridge smell when heated. I make a outer bag (mini pillow case) to slip the grain bag into. This way, I can wash the outer bag if needed.

Short an Sweet 11-16-2010 04:47 AM

I like the idea of the wheat but I'm not sure where to find it?

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Since I live on a farm and we grow wheat, oats and barley, I use home grown grains instead of rice. Wheat holds the heat a little longer as it is a denser kernel than oats or barley. All give a nutty or porridge smell when heated. I make a outer bag (mini pillow case) to slip the grain bag into. This way, I can wash the outer bag if needed.