Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rick Rack and lace used in/on quilts. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rick-rack-lace-used-quilts-t225617.html)

ManiacQuilter2 07-12-2013 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've used Rick Rack in the borders. It makes turning the edge down easier. My quilting friend always frown when I have Rick Rack on a quilt top.....

GagaSmith 07-12-2013 10:06 AM

How do you guys sew the rick rack on Just stitch down the middle or zig zag or what?

NikkiLu 07-12-2013 10:32 AM

I would wash and dry the lace or rick rack before using it in a quilt. I used to sew clothes for my two daughters when they were small and the rick rack would shrink and curl up a lot.

quiltsRfun 07-12-2013 10:38 AM

I've seen rick rack used for stems of flowers on applique quilts. Looked really cute. In fact I have one on my to do list. I also saw a Grandmother's Fan quilt that used lace around the edges of the fans.

Pollytink 07-12-2013 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6173580)
I've used Rick Rack in the borders. It makes turning the edge down easier. My quilting friend always frown when I have Rick Rack on a quilt top.....

That is SO cute, Joellyn! Love that quilt!

SandyinZ4 07-12-2013 07:14 PM

Lots of good ideas so far. If I do try it, I will be sure and wash first. I really like the idea of using it on the border edge where fabrics meet. I think I will zig-zag stitch it on though... or sew on both sides???

bearisgray 07-12-2013 07:20 PM

I would just soak the rick rack in hot water until the water cooled - and then roll it in a towel and hang it on a rack or lay it on a towel to dry. Not sure what it would do if put in a dryer - but I think it might curl.

I know the older rickrack would shrink - there was always that pucker where it had been sewn on!

barbgooch 07-12-2013 08:52 PM

I always do a zig zag when sewing down my rick rack. I don't like the way it curls up if I don't. I do the triple zig zag, 3 stitches across, 3 stitches back. I've practiced on scraps to get the width and length settings just right, then I wrote those on a piece of tape and attached to my sewing machine so I will remember the next time I do it.

Originally Posted by GagaSmith (Post 6173591)
How do you guys sew the rick rack on Just stitch down the middle or zig zag or what?

mjsylvstr 07-13-2013 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 (Post 6172648)
I have accumulated much rick rack and lace over the years and would like to incorporate one or the other or both into some kind of quilt or quilts. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Pictures would be even better. Thanks for any help you might give or for pointing me in the right direction.

I once used the large rick-rack when making a reversible quilt and after sewing the borders on, I turned it over the it had not lined up as hoped. So on the seam line on the back, I hand sewed the rick-rack over the seam line and the faux pas was known to none..........
no was was wise to this error and thought that the trim on the quilt was done intentionally.

mengler 07-13-2013 03:52 AM

Ric Rac

I just bought several hundred yards of R/R. I use it for flower stems. pillow seams, dec trim etc. These days, r/r is usually polyester or in my case nylon. If you keep the dryer heat and iron temp low it shouldn't curl, shrink or melt. Watch the vintage r/r (ebay etc). That may be cotton. Check the content-if it's synthetic it should be fine.