Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rolls of fabric strips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rolls-fabric-strips-t2075.html)

amma 08-31-2007 09:31 AM

Is my math that far off? If a 6 inch X 22 foot strip (264 inches) wouldn't it break down to: 12in X 132 in, 24in X 66 in, 48in X33in which is pretty close to a yard of fabric (36 in X 44 in) for $2.25-$3.25 Six of these strips are $13.50 Which is the equivalent of 1 yard X 7.333 yards

quiltmaker101 08-31-2007 10:38 AM

I like the jelly roll sets idea, but like Patrice, I find the price too hard to swallow. However, I would like to be the one selling them!

I saved all the scraps from my daughter's black and white quilt and cut them to the same width. They are not the same length, but I have been rolling them and at some point when I don't have 30 other quilts in my brain, I will just start sewing as they come off the roll and see what I get. My first stab at free form quilting. If it works out well, I plan to do this with all my scrap strips.

It does tend to remind me of building a rubber band ball though. LOL

Knot Sew 08-31-2007 10:43 AM

how many would like to swap strips, How many do you get at a time? It would be pretty scrapy. I'm going to check on ebay and see what they have

quiltmaker101 08-31-2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Is my math that far off? If a 6 inch X 22 foot strip (264 inches) wouldn't it break down to: 12in X 132 in, 24in X 66 in, 48in X33in which is pretty close to a yard of fabric (36 in X 44 in) for $2.25-$3.25 Six of these strips are $13.50 Which is the equivalent of 1 yard X 7.333 yards

What I've seen on Ebay is 44 2 1/2 x 44 inch strips, which by my math comes to almost 2 1/2 yards. If I won it at the current price it comes out to almost $8 a yard plus shipping.

I guess it depends on what price you get it at and how much shipping costs.

patricej 08-31-2007 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Is my math that far off?

nope. not your math. stupid kitty insists on posting comments before i've had my coffee. :x

i see NOW what your wrote, but at o'dark this morning, i though it said 6 inches by 22 inches. :oops:

a 22 foot long continuous strip of fabric. whoda thunk it?

let me make sure i've processed correctly this time. strips are 6 inches wide and 22 feet long (just over a yard and a quarter if you cut them into 42 inch sections and lined them up). each strip costs between $2.25 and $3.25. soooooooooo it's about $2 or $3 per yard. did i get it right this time?

i hope so, because i like THAT math much better. think i'll go wake up kitty. gonna share the link to your source? PWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE?

nor'easter 08-31-2007 11:44 AM

Jelly Roll strips on line are 2½" x 42" and there are usually 40 of them packaged together for around $30. That works out to $10.80 per yard. Compared to $8.50 per yard for flat yardage of the same fabric it's high, but nowhere near $39 per yard! (I priced moda jelly rolls at fat quarter shop). I'd still rather prewash and cut after, at least for functional quilts.

quiltmaker101 08-31-2007 11:54 AM

I know what you mean about washing already cut pieces Nor'easter! I found out how tough that is after the fabric squares swap.

It was not so bad after I started washing them in a garment bag and ironed carefully, but I think the squares will all have to be recut to make them the same size.

I am making my own strip rolls for later. This means they are already washed and ironed!

If a person doesn't want the hassle of all those strip tangled together and having to iron or recut them, swap with Ruth using only preshrunk fabrics.

Minda 08-31-2007 01:51 PM

I haven't bought any strips yet, but I think they would be a great convenience.

amma 08-31-2007 02:50 PM

Patrice you scared the dickens out of my pocket book :shock: Had me spitting coffee everywhere :lol: I would not pay $39 a yard for any fabric :lol: :lol: Yes it is 22 feet long, not 22 inches..... I know what you mean about mornings before coffee :mrgreen:

Here is the link, check out the fabrics, some are 100% cotton some are blends, etc... She advertises them for rag rugs, but I have ordered numerous ones from her for myself and others and they have always been cut very well. She is also great about answering questions in a timely manner, too. She does run sales from time to time, too. I just purchased a 42 inch piece X 21 foot piece from her for a friend that was a beautiful floral that she is using to make curtains out of. $14.07 for the fabric and $5.99 shipping. She was very happy with the fabric! Another bonus is if you order 2 strips of the same, she will cut them into (3) 4 inch strips for you, free of charge..... Even more convenient!!!!!!

http://stores.ebay.com/DnL-Fabric-Crafts-and-More_RAG-RUG-PRE-CUT-FABRIC-STRIPS_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Knot Sew 08-31-2007 02:55 PM

To funny I just posted this in links and resources. Are the strips she has for rugs good for quilts. I saw one with dasies I liked. :D :D :D I've just read the rest of your post.......great for squares. I have bought cranston befor, :D like it