Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Room darkening fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/room-darkening-fabric-t114997.html)

janRN 04-10-2011 09:04 AM

I remember someone was making curtains or drapes from a quilt. I have sliding doors to my deck, which is white vinyl and it reflects so much heat back into the house. I have a quilt top I made that I could put loops on and hang it as a drape over the doors; it's not sandwiched or batted or quilted. Instead of finishing it as a quilt, is there any fabric that I could use on the back that would act as room-darkening? I'd hang it on a rod and be able to open and close it depending on the sun.
Thanks for any and all suggestions!
Peace-Jan

oatw13 04-10-2011 09:15 AM

Our Joann's sells room darkening fabric. I think it is a bit pricey, though.

Tartan 04-10-2011 09:42 AM

My son has a bedroom window that faces the sun in the morning. He wanted something that would keep out the light. I looked at several different fabrics but it was going to be quite costly. I finally decide to use dark brown bath towels/sheets that I got at Walmart. I used seam tape and ran it asong the top, making loops that corresponded with the curtains. It worked wonderfully and I figure when the window treatment is changed, I can take the seam tape off and use the towels. Hope this helps. :D

quilter1943 04-10-2011 09:49 AM

I bought some at Hancock's. It didn't seem that expensive at the time, but it was several years ago. Just remember it will help with your AC bill too when you consider if you think the price is too high. That sounds like a cute idea. Of course, we'll need to see pictures! Just saw you're in Western PA so you may not need AC in the summer.

the casual quilter 04-10-2011 10:30 AM

I've used the room darkening material from Joann's to make liners for curtains in a lodge in Alaska. It worked wonderfully, but I agree with the previous post --- it's expensive stuff. It's not hard to work with, but be sure your measurements are accurate before you cut it. And also decide how you want to mount your quilt curtain. You'll see some light glow from around the curtain if the curtain/liner is not flush against the window. It wasn't a problem at the lodge, but it might bother you a little.

MadQuilter 04-10-2011 10:34 AM

I sewed a basic curtain for the bedroom using black-out lining from Joann's - what a difference that makes! Worth every penny to me. I think it comes in 54" width.

okiepastor 04-10-2011 10:36 AM

I just used some heavy decorator fabric to back my window quilt for our patio doors----works great....and was CHEAP! $2 yd,. on close out and 60" wide!

SherriB 04-10-2011 10:53 AM

I made some liners from black-out fabric that I got at Hancock Fabrics. The fabric I bought was kind of vinyl feeling and you had to be very careful where you pinned. Pins would leave little, tiny pinholes and light would come through. Same with ripping out stitches. We used the liner for a couple years until we switched bedrooms and didn't need it.

Painiacs 04-10-2011 11:43 AM

Blackout curtains cheap at walmart. I. Bought those will cut to size as they r long and sew! Should be perfect for u!

janRN 04-10-2011 12:15 PM

Great ideas--thank you. I've always used a navy blue sheet and it really looked crappy LOL. I'm going to have to check out fabric at Joanne's or curtains or sheets at Walmart.
I knew I could count on all of you!