Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary cutter blade sharpeners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutter-blade-sharpeners-t184.html)

Leslee 12-02-2006 12:49 PM

Has anyone tried using one of those nifty gadgets that supposedly sharpens a worn rotary cutter blade? Do they work?

Donna 12-04-2006 08:05 AM

I just bought one about a week ago. I also bought a new blade, after I had cut quite a few squares I decided to sharpen it, it was ok but you could tell it was getting on the dull side. Well, to my surprise and disappointment it was worse after the sharpening than before, seemed to have a nick in it. I am hoping that maybe I just got a bad sharpener or pressed to hard or something. I may try to get a new one and see if that helps, tho they are pricey to keep buying, almost three blades.

Donna

Jezebel George 12-04-2006 05:08 PM

On another board, there was a thread describing things posters wish they hadn't bought. The blade sharpener was one of the most common items listed.

Donna 12-04-2006 05:40 PM

Jezebel George, thank you so much for posting this info, I will not try another then.

Donna

foxxigrani 12-05-2006 07:12 AM

I had one also. I used it to help keep blades longer. In between cutting it did help some, but to my way of thinking it wasn't enough to warrant the price tag on it and it wore out faster than the blades. Needless to say I have never bought another. If they had a longer lasting sharpener I would probably invest in it as I don't get to many uses out of blades. I am awfully hard on blades. I can have spaces that skip before I even finish one project. So it was nice to at least help make it thru one. I guess we all try the gadgets and keep or reject. Hope this helps.

Rita

Leslee 12-05-2006 07:18 AM

Excellent advice, all. Thank you! I"m still gonna follow the little trick of taking apart the cutter, reversing the blade, cleaning it up and applying a drop of machine oil. That's been getting a little extra mileage out of each blade for me. The blade sharpener seemed an idea too good to be true--and I guess it was! :thumbup:

Boo 12-05-2006 07:58 AM

Exellent information, ladies! I too was considering the investment. Not only have you saved me from throwing money away, you also explained the problems with the sharpener. I love quilters! :D Do you realize how many fat quarters we can buy now? :thumbup:

Donna 12-05-2006 09:10 AM

I take donations at *******. :lol:

gr8tchr4u 12-05-2006 09:32 AM

Hi, yes, I bought one. Mine was blue, has two sand paper disks that you screw a little blue handle into the blade and rub against for sharpening. It was pricey, but I used a 40% coupon! :) I found when cutting cordura nylon and heavier fabrics that it really did the job in keeping the nice sharp cuts I wanted. It does not replace a new blade, but if you can't go out and get one right away or are in a quilting circle and someone's blade is too dull, it gets you out of a fix. :)

Suz 12-11-2006 08:33 PM

Yes, I have one which I purchased several years ago. It works fine. The only problem is NO ONE carries the replacement sandpapers circles. I have watched for them, but no luck.
Has anyone found a source for the replacement sandpaper circles? Suzanne