Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary cutters ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutters-t81824.html)

TN Donna 12-10-2010 12:12 AM

I am not used to using a rotary cutter at all. In fact, I have just ordered my first one. Do the different brands just use the one brands blades or do all the blades fit any rotarty cutter?

SuziC 12-10-2010 03:32 AM

I own a Fiskers and the generic blades from WalMart fit it just fine and are inexpensive.

SherriB 12-10-2010 04:55 AM

I have a Fiskars and loved it. But I recently changed blades and it is driving me batty!!! I think the blade I took off was an Olfa brand blade. I used a Fiskars blade refill and it just slides around. The blade I took off had a D kind of shaped opening where it went on the screw holding it but this on is just a round hole.

gollytwo 12-10-2010 05:18 AM

I have 4 or 5 different brands; they all seem to take whatever blades I get on sale at Joanns

Cyn 12-10-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I have 4 or 5 different brands; they all seem to take whatever blades I get on sale at Joanns

ditto

klgreene 12-10-2010 05:14 PM

I have fiskars and olfa and I interchange the blades all the time. But did just order from Harbor Freight and use those in both brands. I haven't really noticed a difference.

QuiltingGrannie 12-10-2010 05:17 PM

I have fiskars and olfa and prefer the Olfa.
Blades interchange as far as I can tell. Make sure you put then in right is the only difference.

MTS 12-10-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
I have a Fiskars and loved it. But I recently changed blades and it is driving me batty!!! I think the blade I took off was an Olfa brand blade. I used a Fiskars blade refill and it just slides around. The blade I took off had a D kind of shaped opening where it went on the screw holding it but this on is just a round hole.

That "sliding" is actually a sort of oil put on to make the blades easier (and safer) to remove from the packaging. Somewhere, ages ago (or a few months), I found an informative tutorial on blade handling for quilters. Don't laugh.

Might it be possible that you have 2 blades and don't realize it? It's happened many times. The 2 things that are usually D shapes - the piece from the cutter that goes through the hole (just the bottom of the peg part) and the washer - have to be aligned properly.

If your original blade had a D hole, then maybe it didn't need or have the washer....which a blade with a circular hole would need to stabilize it with the peg on the rotary cutter.

jljack 12-10-2010 07:20 PM

The blades are interchangeable in all brands of cutters. If you are having a problem, then yes, you most likely have 2 blades in there accidentally...ask me how I know that!! LOL LOL LOL :-)

TN Donna 12-10-2010 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TN Donna
I am not used to using a rotary cutter at all. In fact, I have just ordered my first one. Do the different brands just use the one brands blades or do all the blades fit any rotarty cutter?

Thanks ladies. I appreciate all you replies.