Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary screw won't stay tight - help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-screw-wont-stay-tight-help-t201505.html)

maryfs 09-25-2012 12:27 PM

Rotary screw won't stay tight - help?

I've just started working on a flannel rag quilt, and while cutting the squares, the nut/screw on my Fiskars 45mm Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter keeps loosening. I managed to finish all my squares, but towards the end of the 130+ squares, I had to tighten the nut after every cut. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, any suggested fixes? I've e-mailed Fiskars and received a message that someone will get back to me within five days, so in the meantime I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Gramie bj 09-25-2012 12:42 PM

Is the scew part plastic? Could part of the thread be damaged? Maybe wrap the screw with plumbers tape and put the nut back on? You may need to get a new cutter.

Tashana 09-25-2012 12:53 PM

There is a fluid that opticians use to set screws on glasses tight. I do not know how it is called but my DH used to have a tiny little bottle a while ago. If you go to the optical department of your local Costco I am sure they would not mind putting a few drops on your rotary cutter screw. That is all it takes, a drop or two.

Jingle 09-25-2012 01:41 PM

My blade wobbles but still cuts straight and the screw is tight. I have bought two other fiskars and I don't like them. This is the first one I bought about 1992 or 1993. I have cut out about 100 quilts, 10 or so biscuit quilts and 16 comforters with it. The new ones are just not the same. Some smart person decided to change them, I guess.

maryfs 09-25-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 5540678)
Is the scew part plastic? Could part of the thread be damaged? Maybe wrap the screw with plumbers tape and put the nut back on? You may need to get a new cutter.

The screw and nut are metal. I'll give the plumber's tape a try - thanks :)

maryfs 09-25-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tashana (Post 5540703)
There is a fluid that opticians use to set screws on glasses tight. I do not know how it is called but my DH used to have a tiny little bottle a while ago. If you go to the optical department of your local Costco I am sure they would not mind putting a few drops on your rotary cutter screw. That is all it takes, a drop or two.

Good to know! I'm going to try plumber's tape first, and if that doesn't work, I'll take the cutter to Costco's optical department (or see if I can find where to buy said fluid). Thanks :)

maryfs 09-25-2012 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5540852)
My blade wobbles but still cuts straight and the screw is tight. I have bought two other fiskars and I don't like them. This is the first one I bought about 1992 or 1993. I have cut out about 100 quilts, 10 or so biscuit quilts and 16 comforters with it. The new ones are just not the same. Some smart person decided to change them, I guess.

My cutter is from the '90s as well. I was thinking of just buying a new one, but hearing that the newer ones are not as good, I'll try the fixes suggested instead...

Jan in VA 09-25-2012 03:26 PM

Yes, buy a new one! Make it an Olfa cutter, you'll be glad you did. :)
Fiskars = Chevy; Olfa = Cadillac ;)

Jan in VA

ghostrider 09-25-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5541066)
Yes, buy a new one! Make it an Olfa cutter, you'll be glad you did. :)
Fiskars = Chevy; Olfa = Cadillac ;)

Jan in VA

And I've heard that Olfa replaces parts (washer or screw) when necessary.

BellaBoo 09-25-2012 04:08 PM

Fiskars will replace without any hassle. I had a problem with a rotary cutter and they sent me a brand new one.