Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rough Morning... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rough-morning-t115085.html)

Becky Crafts 04-10-2011 02:37 PM

I've been working hard on getting the Sunday-Best Sue quilt top done. Last night I started having trouble with my machine or me. It kept pulling my fabric into the feed dogs, chewing it & grumbling loudly. I only get about 3 hrs sleep a night so was really tired & figured it was me. Decided to put it away for the night. Went to bed. Up at 3 a.m. frogging all the fancy stitches I put on this long strip. I went to try again & it happened again. Long story short..it kept doing it. I took my machine all apart to clean under the bobbin case & presser foot plate. Got it all cleaned out, put it back together..still doing it. Changed bobbins; still doing it. Made a fresh bobbin. Still doing it. Finally in desperation & near tears I got a new spool of (embroidery) thread this time from my DH stockpile. Made a matching bobbin & my sewing machine is purring like a kitten again! I tell you this not to complain or whine, but to hopefully help someone else who has this problem with their machine before they end up taking it for service with such a simple fix. I really love this sewing machine. It's worked really hard since I've had it with no complaints.

MZStitch 04-10-2011 02:52 PM

I so glad you got it figured it out! I've been there before, and don't know if I ever tried to just change the thread!

So, had you been sewing with this same spool for awhile, and then it just started acting up?

merry 04-10-2011 02:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles last night. Glad you found the problem & are sew-happy today :) I appreciate your post, if it happens to me, I'll know what to try. Thanks.

Divokittysmom 04-10-2011 03:03 PM

Oh my gosh.. I soooo hear your frustrations!! Why is it when we want to sit down and make a ton of progress things like this happen. Beyond frustration is where it gets me and a few tears. I am so happy you were able to troubleshoot the problem and gt back up and running again!! Perserverence usually works! Good for you!! :thumbup:
When I have something like this happen my first plan of attack is make sure my machine is threaded correctly as sometimes threads can mysteriously pop out of tension disks. Next thing, remove the bobbin and clean. I try stitching again, if it isn't perfect I put in a new needle. I am floored at how many times I have put in a new needle and end up throwing it away and changing it again and then things work perfectly. I too have switched threads and bobbins. So far these things have worked for me on the machines I have now. :-D

Becky Crafts 04-10-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MZStitch
I so glad you got it figured it out! I've been there before, and don't know if I ever tried to just change the thread!

So, had you been sewing with this same spool for awhile, and then it just started acting up?

Yes, I used it on the Sue's and on half the framing rails. All of a sudden it decided to mess me up! I even changed the needle. This embroidery thread is working great!

Becky Crafts 04-10-2011 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
Oh my gosh.. I soooo hear your frustrations!! Why is it when we want to sit down and make a ton of progress things like this happen. Beyond frustration is where it gets me and a few tears. I am so happy you were able to troubleshoot the problem and gt back up and running again!! Perserverence usually works! Good for you!! :thumbup:
When I have something like this happen my first plan of attack is make sure my machine is threaded correctly as sometimes threads can mysteriously pop out of tension disks. Next thing, remove the bobbin and clean. I try stitching again, if it isn't perfect I put in a new needle. I am floored at how many times I have put in a new needle and end up throwing it away and changing it again and then things work perfectly. I too have switched threads and bobbins. So far these things have worked for me on the machines I have now. :-D

Actually, I did all the things you mentioned including changing the needle, but it didn't help. When I was finally out of options, I tried changing the thread. Voila! Up & running smoothly again.

Painiacs 04-10-2011 07:03 PM

Hope u get some sleep!

Summer Spice 04-10-2011 07:18 PM

You know a good quilter has also got to be part mechanic!
Where are you going to find someone to make an emergency house call at 3 AM? Good going.

Pickles 04-10-2011 07:27 PM

It sounds like maybe your first spool had some default in it
part way through, so glad you got it worked out and it's doing well with the new spool of thread :D :thumbup:

Katy 04-10-2011 07:33 PM

DO YOU THINK IT WAS A SPECIFIC BRAND OR THE WEIGHT OF THREAD OR AGE OR SOMETHING ELSE?