Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rowenta Iron (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rowenta-iron-t102224.html)

Doda 02-23-2011 03:59 AM

My iron is leaking from the bottom, but I have not dropped it and I'm the only one that uses it for quilting.
I've only had the iron for 2 years.
Should I just throw it away and buy another?
If so, what brand is reliable?
Has someone else had this problem?

Grateful for any suggestions..

thanks,

Iron-less in Orlando

KrystelsQuilts 02-23-2011 04:03 AM

My iron leaks from the bottom on occassion also, but usually only if I hit the steam button before it is fully warmed up and I have found that it will leak if I fill too close to the fill line. Does yours leak all the time?

Mary O 02-23-2011 04:10 AM

Rowentas are overrated.Will never buy another one.Leak,leak that's all they do.....

BMP 02-23-2011 04:22 AM

I went through 2 Rowenta irons in a span of 18 months, I will never buy another !! They arent made in Germany any more they all come from China.

Holice 02-23-2011 04:30 AM

write the company they believe their irons are wonderful and need to know of the problems. Can't hurt to write them. My best success if cheapies from the big box stores. They seems to outperform the more expensive ones. I've now had 7 of one of the expensive ones - been exchenged each time it started dumping water. If you pay $6 for an iron and it lasts a year you are still ahead. I've dropped my Black and Decker that I paid $10 for and it stillis going.

quilticing 02-23-2011 04:33 AM

Shark did the same thing brand new.And it doesn't get hot enough.

sunflower126 02-23-2011 05:01 AM

I will never buy another Rowenta. Not worth the money they cost. Didn't last as long as the Black & Decker or my latest Shark that I bought at WalMart. I do like having one that shuts off after a certain amount of time. They can be a pain too by shutting off while you are working, but the peace of mind knowing my iron shut off is worth it. I found myself too many times forgetting to turn it off. When leaving the house I always double check to make sure it is off just to be sure.

hobbykat1955 02-23-2011 05:10 AM

My B&D just died after yrs...So I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest one they make B&D 13.00 which is a lightweight and love it...I refuse to spend big bucks on irons they all do the same thing

Justquilting 02-23-2011 05:12 AM

I've had 3 and they've all leaked.
I now buy B&D on sale or clearance.
It's out lasted the 2 Rowenta's.

jbud2 02-23-2011 05:13 AM

I have a cheap big box iron too. If I forget to turn it off, it goes off. Only 'leaks' if I overfill it and then when it gets hot, it splatters all over the ironing board. My sister goes thru a lot of irons - she is a rug hooker. She buys used wool clothing and after washing, it needs ironed before she can cut it. She likes the 'cheap' irons I get for her at yard sales, and the heavier the better. Except one time I got the heaviest iron ever, for 50 cents. She agreed that that iron was way beyond her.