Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ruffler Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ruffler-question-t220271.html)

MamaB 04-29-2013 06:06 AM

Ruffler Question

I just got a ruffler foot for my machine and of course want to ruffle everything! But my question is does anyone know if there is a way to sew the ruffle and sew it to another piece of fabric all in one motion? I want to make a railfence quilt block with a ruffle going through the center of the middle rail. I guess I am trying to find a shortcut so I don't have to gather the ruffle and then sew it on. I was also trying to avoid duplicate stitching lines down the center of the ruffle. Maybe they won't show? Tell me what you think.

nativetexan 04-29-2013 06:52 AM

I wouldn't think that could be done at all. your block or fabric would also ruffle.

0tis 04-29-2013 06:56 AM

Yes, you can - you just run the fabric (that you want to attach to) under the foot - it will be fed by the feed dogs on your machine - I have done this - I must say that it does take some practice - at least for me it did - I suggest you go slow as you feed your fabric through the ruffler and the fabric you are attaching to - I hope this makes sense. I found a tutorial for this but I don't recall where I found it - I am sure I just googled it to get the info. Good luck.

Nammie to 7 04-29-2013 10:10 AM

Yes, you can. Just saw this in a mastery class this weekend. Otis has good instructions.

AliKat 04-29-2013 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis (Post 6033635)
Yes, you can - you just run the fabric (that you want to attach to) under the foot - it will be fed by the feed dogs on your machine - I have done this - I must say that it does take some practice - at least for me it did - I suggest you go slow as you feed your fabric through the ruffler and the fabric you are attaching to - I hope this makes sense. I found a tutorial for this but I don't recall where I found it - I am sure I just googled it to get the info. Good luck.

This is the biggest benefit of having the ruffler foot.

Pam B 04-29-2013 04:57 PM

Good question and great answers! I have a ruffler and haven't tried it yet. Thanks for starting this thread!

nativetexan 04-29-2013 06:18 PM

Oh Duh! I guess you can. I haven't used a ruffler in years. I'm glad you got your answers.

Lori S 04-29-2013 06:39 PM

On most rufflers there are two paths one for the fabric to be ruffled the other for the fabric you want to attach the ruffle . The upper most path is for ruffling. I have to admit rufflers are a lots of fun!

MamaB 04-29-2013 09:00 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. Otis, I would love to see the video you are talking about - I am a bit of a visual learner. I did try and place the fabric I wanted the ruffle attached to under the foot, but I had to hold it very tight or it got caught up in the ruffle. I have a really old machine/ruffler foot, so maybe the newer ones work a bit better/different. (I have a Pfaff 360) I did notice the foot has all these extra notches that look like they probably do something but wasn't able to find any info.

hevemi 05-01-2013 08:56 PM

Check YouTube for "Ruffler foot" or "Presser feet" videos. You'll find plenty of instructions on how to do this.And here is a good one from Bernina, it's good for other brands as well