Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ruler Choices? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ruler-choices-t4749.html)

rkcrafter 02-24-2008 06:43 AM

As someone new (again) to piecing quilt tops, what ruler do you like and if you want a new type, what are you considering?

I followed a link to quiltbus.com and was amazed at all the rulers. I knew there were lots of choices, but am really confused as to what brand or style is the most versatile.

Is there any where to learn about the features on the rulers?

thanks for any tips.

patricej 02-24-2008 07:45 AM

at last count, i had 9 rulers - including template rulers for special shapes.

i keep going back to my 5" x 24" Olfa Lip Edge Ruler. It's the first one I ever bought, and it's the one i have out today. :P

sewmuch 02-24-2008 07:54 AM

I have a 6"x24" that I use most of the time, had it for years. Also, 6"sq, 9"sq, and 6"x12".

ccbear66 02-24-2008 08:02 AM

I too have several rulers but I use my 12 1/2 in square ruler the most.

ania755 02-24-2008 08:15 AM

Hi
I have only two rulers both Omnigrid
the one is 6" x 24"
the other is 12.5" x 12"
When I put them together I get a full line of the sum....
Good luck :D

MissTreated 02-24-2008 08:39 AM

I have several, most are omnigrid. The 6X24 is the most used, but other are irreplaceable. The past few weeks, I've been using a triangle, a half triangle (I guess more like templates) and an 8.5" square.

I like the "nonslip" omnigrids, the ones that are green on the underside. When they are an option, I buy them. Otherwise the yellow ones with some non-slip tabs on the underside are the way to go. Nothing worse than cutting something and have the ruler slip out from underneath you!

M

Quilting Aggi 02-24-2008 08:47 AM

I really like the Olfa rulers with the lip on the edge. I find them great and recommend them to my quilting students, especially beginners as those rulers help to keep things more steady and you have a little more control when you rotary cut

triciasquilts 02-24-2008 09:19 AM

I have lots of rulers but I can't live without my 6 x 24" and my 12 1/2" square.

Yvonne 02-24-2008 09:47 AM

I have many rulers and so does my sister. The one thing I can tell you it's all a personal preference. I have some that I love that my sister doesn't like and visa-versa! I dislike any of the rulers with the yellow lines. That yellow just makes it very difficult for me to line up the edge of the fabric. Wonder why that is? I know many people really like them.

I do appreciate having the small 6 1/2", 8 1/2" and 12 1/2" squares. They make squaring things up so much easier. My 15"X5" rule is great for strip cutting.

Use your coupons and buy a new ruler when you can afford it and you'll soon know exactly what you want! I think rulers are like fabrics, you can never have too many. Scatter them around the sewing area so you always have one at hand!

zyxquilts 02-24-2008 08:01 PM

I have LOTS of rulers, and I think all but one of them are Omnigrid. I use the 6.5" X 24" and 6.0" X 12" the most. I really like the new OmniGRIP rulers - those are the ones with the non-skid back on them.