Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   S&H absurd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/s-h-absurd-t34185.html)

Nursesews 01-15-2010 06:20 AM

I soooo wanted the quilt pattern Hokey Pokey, went to order, pattern is 8.95 yet they want 4.95s&h. For a pattern :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Just needed to vent, thanks ladies and gentlemen, I'll go silently into my sewing room and pout now :-(

jbud2 01-15-2010 06:53 AM

OK - I feel you pain! And then if you finally break down and order the item, it gets to you and you see what the postage actually was, that really gets me started!

iamsogone 01-15-2010 06:57 AM

shipping does get to you sometimes

Darlene 01-15-2010 07:02 AM

There's an article in my new Readers Digest this month about this same problem. Companies actually make money on S & H especially items sold on TV.

feline fanatic 01-15-2010 07:15 AM

This is a major peeve of mine as well. But remember it is S&H, emphasis on the H. The amount over shipping they charge is the handling fee for paying someone to pull the item off the shelf package it (packaging isn't free either) and process the sale. Yes it annoys me to no end but I have to sit back and realize I am paying for more than just USPS fees. This is why I always save up my on line ordering so that I am at the top end of the price grouping for the that S&H charge or close enough to getting it free for spending up to a certain amount (usually $50). Most on line shops price S&H on a sliding scale with what you spend.

Candace 01-15-2010 07:26 AM

Order a bunch of things to combine shipping and it doesn't hurt so much. Yes, enabling is fun!

Maride 01-15-2010 07:32 AM

I have had fights with companies over this. As previously said, is the H that kills you. They want to get paid for the box and the time spent packing your box. Also, some companies use flat rate to make it easier for them. In that case, no matter the weight, the shipping will be the same.

AtHomeSewing 01-15-2010 07:35 AM

Have you contacted the company and asked them what the charge is to mail one pattern? Sometimes I've been pleasantly surprised with their response. Is there another company that sells it?

charmpacksplus 01-15-2010 07:53 AM

I don't charge extra for shipping on my website, but I don't have the Hokey Pokey pattern. (I've got others!) Some sellers charge a minimun shipping rate so they can use the free Priority flat rate envelopes and not have to pay for additional shipping supplies and it does cost around $5 to mail it, not counting tape, labels, printer ink, time spent packaging, and a trip to the post office. That can really add up $$$ fast. It also makes it more cost effecient to the buyer if the buyer purchases additional items, sometimes the seller won't charge extra S&H if it all fits in the same flat rate envelope.

littlehud 01-15-2010 08:37 AM

That is horrible. More than half the price of the pattern for shipping.