Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Safe to ship a sewing machine in original packaging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/safe-ship-sewing-machine-original-packaging-t176179.html)

so-sew 01-19-2012 05:57 AM

Safe to ship a sewing machine in original packaging?

I'm considering the purchase of a used BabyLock Jewel. The owner has the original packaging. Pick up is not an option....I live in Wisconsin, and the machine is in Georgia. Would you have it sent in the mail and take the chance of damage occurring during shipment? I've heard many stories on the board from members receiving damaged machines due to rough handling during shipment, but how many of those were in original packaging? I'd love to hear the good and bad experiences you all have had so I can weigh the risk. Thanks.

dixie_fried 01-19-2012 06:04 AM

I have purchased two sewing machines and a serger on e-bay. All 3 were packaged well (one was not in original packaging, but, the seller did a great job anyway), and I purchased insurance for replacement if they arrived damaged. I think all were delivered by either fedex or UPS due to size, and were placed on the front porch with no evidence they had been handled roughly.

I think it's a gamble. Clearly one I was willing to take. Three times! I don't regret any of the transactions.

Good luck to you!

delma_paulk 01-19-2012 06:08 AM

I purchased mine from EBay and it was shipped without any problems.....no breakage at all.

Enjoy!

delma

athomenow 01-19-2012 07:39 AM

I've shipped my serger to be repaired and then he shipped it back to me UPS no problem. I would think if they have the original box and packing materials it would be fine. After all they were shipped to the dealer in that same packaging. Insurance and a tracking # is a must!

Dyan 01-19-2012 03:03 PM

I bought two machines off of Ebay, NO Problems.

sharon b 01-19-2012 03:04 PM

My Brother was shipped to me and the original packing is very sturdy :)

NanaCsews2 01-19-2012 03:17 PM

I purchased my Babylock Ellegante as a 15 month old demo model. As I received the full warranty, I was having difficulty with the needle threader, so I decided to get it replaced through the warranty as a defect. I was asked to ship it in the original box as it had the best formed styrofoam surrounding the sewing machine. This was put into another larger box with peanuts all around it. Ask the owner to try this. I did not have one scratch or dent or anything on the machine. There was a small ripped dent in one corner of the outer box, but no damage to the original inside box or machine. IMHO--you cant go wrong with a Babylock. Is the warranty being transferred?

Quiltngolfer 01-19-2012 03:58 PM

I would definitely purchase insurance.

so-sew 01-19-2012 04:03 PM

NanaCsews2, this machine is several years old (not sure how many, but maybe three?), but hasn't been used much. Do you know how long the warrantee is good for? I didn't think that warrantees on machines usually transfer with ownership.

mucky 01-19-2012 04:27 PM

My Pfaff in it's original packing went fron Texas to IN 3 times round trip. I did not have any problems. I did insure it mainly because of theft. It went UPS. The insurance cost more than the shipping.