Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Safety Pins or Pinmoors for pin basting quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/safety-pins-pinmoors-pin-basting-quilts-t214944.html)

Divokittysmom 02-26-2013 01:09 PM

Safety Pins or Pinmoors for pin basting quilts?

Just curious what do you prefer to pin baste your quilts, safety pins or Pinmoors?? I have noticed that Pimoors seem to be wildly popular and wondered if there is an advantage/disadvantage of one over the other?
Yesterday I was 'acupunctured' repeatedly while quilting because I had run out of safety pins. I had to fill in with regular quilting pins..... OUCH OUCH and OUCH!! lol I was really wishing I had some Pinmoors!!

Tartan 02-26-2013 01:11 PM

​I don't pin bast anymore. I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt or 505 spray bast.

quiltingcandy 02-26-2013 01:21 PM

I believe it is much more cost effective to use safety pins over the pinmoors. I bought the pinmoors and they are wonderful - but I like the safety pins with a slight curve for basting and they come 100 for about $7.00 the Pinmoors are over $20.00 for 50. They would be a good alternative in those time you don't have enough safety pins.

kamaiarigby 02-26-2013 01:27 PM

Pimors every time, it saves leaving your DNA on your quilt ( vbg) it also saves your arms from looking as if your cat has attacked you

Divokittysmom 02-26-2013 04:59 PM

Thank you for your replies! I definitely left some DNA on my quilt and it does look as if my kitty had a fight with me today! lol
Is it possible to roll the quilt up so it's easier to work with with Pinmoors??

BellaBoo 02-26-2013 05:35 PM

I use a Pinmoor on every straight pin I use. I detest pin pricks. Many will say you can use other things the same as Pinmoors. I know I tried them all. I bought more Pinmoors.

quiltingshe 02-26-2013 10:04 PM

I bought the pinmoors, but I think that I like to use safety pins the best. However pinmoors are easier to remove as you are quilting along with the sewing machine. I too felt that the pinmoors were kind of expensive. I do use them both.

DOTTYMO 02-27-2013 12:03 AM

I haveurchased some pinmoors and have found I use them for hand quilting. After threading 6 needles ready put pinmoors on the ends also when I finish for the day place a pinmoors on the end of needle. I find my needle no problem.
I 'm sure I will soon find more uses.ie will it work on a seam ripper?

Suzette316 02-27-2013 06:05 AM

Depends on the quilt size. Pinmoors in a small wallhanging works ok, but on a larger quilt, it just makes too much bulk for me. I prefer my safety pins on larger quilts. Plus, I personally don't like the pinmoors for other reasons (my cats love them, so that is a constant battle, to keep the cats away from them, they'll even pull them right off the quilt!), they are pricey, bulky and not much less time consuming than safety pins.

Personal preference for sure, but just some things to think about . . . :)

krafty14 02-27-2013 07:38 PM

I buy the long skinny eraser refills and cut them into 1/4" pieces. I used to use these in a preschool class when we made pinwheels using a pearl head pin to hold the pinwheel to a straw, then put the eraser on the back so the pin wouldn't poke.