Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sale of Quilt Tops on QB - Success or Not (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sale-quilt-tops-qb-success-not-t159086.html)

MissJMac 10-08-2011 11:37 PM

I'd like some feedback from those of you have sold quilt tops on our Board.
Do any of you sell regularly here?
Is there an active market for tops only here?
Been selling on Ebay and Etsy, but I've gained so much from you ladies that I'd much rather send my tops to our members for finishing. Never sell them for what they're worth, just to make room for more fabric:>)
What are your experiences selling tops to fellow quilters here???
Thanks for your input.

dublb 10-09-2011 12:46 AM

You're question is great! I'd like to know also!

Painiacs 10-09-2011 02:06 AM

I've bought a couple tops and quite a few orphan blocks. I like them because as a fairly new quilter ( 2-3 yrs) it gives me a chance to see others work close up and be able to Put together a project or two fast. Especially if I need a gift realfast!!!
Hope that helps!

blueangel 10-09-2011 02:45 AM

I have bought several on here.

ckcowl 10-09-2011 03:29 AM

i've not checked our classifieds for quilt tops- but it sure seems to me that it would be alot easier to sell them here then on ebay or etsy---just my thoughts-although here you would have to decide on a price- would not have a (bidding war) to get more out of them- but as for the process- it's easy enough to work out deals with board members-

patricej 10-09-2011 03:33 AM

We can sell things like tops, precuts, finished items, etc. only for the cost of the materials used.

cost must be calculated using the 60% rule (max for fabric calculations is $6 per yard.)

cost is based on the materials contained in the items as it is offered. (so, for example, if you bought 2 yards and had some left over, you can't include the whole 2 yards in the calculation.)

labor cannot be included in the calculations.

Shelbie 10-09-2011 03:55 AM

I don't think it matters where you sell your tops or blocks or even finished quilts for that matter, you rarely get out of them what you actually have invested in them. Most people have no idea of their value or the time involved. Fabric and supplies are constantly going up in price and the selling prices are not keeping up. From my experience, selling quilts, tops or any other stitched item is just not a money making proposition.

PaperPrincess 10-09-2011 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by MissJMac
I'd like some feedback from those of you have sold quilt tops on our Board.
Do any of you sell regularly here?
Is there an active market for tops only here?
Been selling on Ebay and Etsy, but I've gained so much from you ladies that I'd much rather send my tops to our members for finishing. Never sell them for what they're worth, just to make room for more fabric:>)
What are your experiences selling tops to fellow quilters here???
Thanks for your input.

According to the rules, you can only charge for 60% of the fabric USED and nothing for your time. Doesn't sound like a good deal for the seller, unless they just want to be rid of them.

Granny Quilter 10-09-2011 06:48 AM

There is a lady on this board who has a web site where she sells quilt tops. Seems to do well

frugalfabrics 10-09-2011 11:35 AM

Anytime I've listed blocks and tops, they sell quickly.