Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sandpaper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandpaper-t31910.html)

MaxineB 12-19-2009 08:03 AM

I'm having trouble with my piece cutting. I want to try putting the sandpaper on the bottom of my ruler. I need details on how to do this. What grit sandpaper do you use? How do you attach to the ruler? Please, any advice is welcome!

Maxine

brushandthimble 12-19-2009 08:18 AM

I have used both the dots and clingy plastic, I perfer the plastic. The dots work but the ruler is not always even, it wobbles on the dots. hope that makes sense

MaxineB 12-19-2009 08:29 AM

So this clingy plastic sticks on the back of the ruler & keeps it from slipping? Do I have to glue it on or does it have a glue backing?

crashnquilt 12-19-2009 09:06 AM

No, the plastic has a very light adhesive and it sticks quite well to the ruler. You will have to cut it to size but it cuts fine with a regular pair of scissors.

Also, go to the disability aids at Walmart and get the shower handle. It is a large handle with suction cups on both ends. This will help you hold the ruler in place as well.

You can get the handle that is for quilters, but the shower aid works much better and it is much cheaper!

kluedesigns 12-19-2009 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
No, the plastic has a very light adhesive and it sticks quite well to the ruler. You will have to cut it to size but it cuts fine with a regular pair of scissors.

Also, go to the disability aids at Walmart and get the shower handle. It is a large handle with suction cups on both ends. This will help you hold the ruler in place as well.

You can get the handle that is for quilters, but the shower aid works much better and it is much cheaper!

thats a great tip about the shower aid to use for rulers. you should send that into some shows and magazines maybe you can get a free subscription.

i sent a tip to fons and porter a few years back and they gave me a magazine subscription for free.

amma 12-19-2009 11:57 AM

I like having both the handle and the cling film. It takes pressure off of my hands while cutting.

I love the idea of the shower handles :D:D:D

Tiffany 12-19-2009 12:00 PM

I love the tip about the handle from WalMart. Thank you for sharing that!!

Marcia 12-19-2009 01:28 PM

I have the cling film on my rulers and it makes all the difference in the world.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-19-2009 08:43 PM

I have the clear plastic stick-on things from Joann's, too. It's nice because you can still see thru them to measure. I have seen the sandpaper dots in fabric stores also. If you don't mind not being able to see thru the dots, you might try felt dots like you put on the bottom of things to not scratch your countertops. I have read that they work well.

JulieM 12-20-2009 03:50 AM

I use the dots and the "Gripper", wish I had thought about the shower thing before spending $20 on the Gripper. Oh well, I also use the sand paper dots and at first only used three on my 24" ruler, it was not enough I still had slippage and then added more dots, no more slippage.

In the past, I was rotary cutting challenged, now I cut MUCH more accurately.
JulieM