Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sandwiching issues.....help? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandwiching-issues-help-t32653.html)

gmcsewer 01-01-2010 07:44 AM

Another method of stretching the backing is to put two "church" tables together to form a large square. Then put your backing fabric down and stretch it, using large "bull dog clips", (bought at the office supply store) to secure the backing every 12 inches or so. When the backing is taut and even, lay the batting down on it and smooth it out. Then lay the quilt on and smooth it out and stretch it taut if it is large enough to reach the edge of the tables. Pin every 4 to 5 inches. If you wish, use the basting spray to hold batting and top in place.

Sparky 01-01-2010 07:45 AM

I'm wondering about why "your stitches are too close together". It sounds like you are having trouble with the quilt not dragging on your machine. You may need to hold it up and make sure you have enough space for it to "float". I would agree to use spray for an easy basting. But I find it is very important to have the backing taped to the floor first so that it is slightly stretched to it's max. Good luck.

Jingle 01-02-2010 05:51 PM

Don't use the basting spray if you have a pet bird - It could kill it I do and I don't use anything smelly. I have a glass topped dining room - not near big enough, but it works. I use plastic clamps - from home depot- I clamp the backing onto the table - four each side - three on each end. I lay out my backing - clamp it - lay on batting - clamp it - lay out quilt top - clamp it - using the same clamps. I pin at least every 3-4 inches. I usually make big quilts and have to move after pinning until all is pinned. Be sure to smooth out everything in the same order as before and use the clamps - as before. When ready to quilt, make sure to roll up and stick in opening of machine always start in the middle. I quilt side to side across center then top to bottom down center. I always quilt next to quilting. Always works for me. You have to keep pulling quilt to make sure it doesn't get hung up on pins,edge of table, or any place else.

mimisharon 01-04-2010 09:21 AM

Be sure you've ironed your backing fabric.

Be sure to hang your batting over a table or rod to flatten out the wrinkles from packaging or run through the dryer for 5 minutes on low heat to get the wrinkles out (LEAST favorable method)

Clip or tape each side across the middle FIRST as others suggested. Also begin your quilting from the middle to outside to keep the puckers out.

Relax and don't be so critical of your own work. The loft of each batting is different. If you choose a high loft or a poly batting you can get more puckers if you are trying to quilt to close. Read the batting package for the best width of quilting.

These are my best sandwiching tips that I've learned the hard way by not doing any of the above the first time. Since then I've developed a tendency to do it with every quilt to keep from ripping and screaming so much. :oops:

Hugs,
Sharon