Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sashing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sashing-t77554.html)

Betty Angel 11-20-2010 08:25 AM

I have some quilt blocks that I would like to add sashing to. To
complete the quilt top. I am new at quilting and don't quite understand how to add sashing to a row of blocks that are not attached. I think I need to add sashing to the rows vertically and horizontally. But I can figure out how to do this.
Betty Angel

kathy 11-20-2010 08:31 AM

it's easier (I think) to add to each block seperately than a lon strip to a whole row. cut you strip the width you want (I usually go for 2-1/2", gives 2" finished) by the length of one side of your block. sew it on, press and measure the bottom of the block plus the added strip, that's the length for that piece. the blocks on the outside perimeter will of course have more than 2 strips

dunster 11-20-2010 08:36 AM

Here's one description of how to do it. If you don't want the cornerstones, just make the sashing strips longer when it says to add them.
http://www.synthcom.com/~val/Quilts/Tutorials/AddingSashing.html

littlehud 11-20-2010 09:09 AM

If I just want one row of sashing between the blocks I add sashing to one side of my blocks, then add the next block.......add sashing to the new block and then another block til my whole row is done. I complete all my rows and then at a long strip of sashing to the long side of a row. Then I attach the next row. Keep it up til you have attached all the rows. Clear as mud, right.

Sadiemae 11-20-2010 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
If I just want one row of sashing between the blocks I add sashing to one side of my blocks, then add the next block.......add sashing to the new block and then another block til my whole row is done. I complete all my rows and then at a long strip of sashing to the long side of a row. Then I attach the next row. Keep it up til you have attached all the rows. Clear as mud, right.

I do it the same way, but I usually add squares in the corners(cornerstones) because I like the way it looks.

Iluv2quilt 11-20-2010 12:42 PM

I am finishing up one right now and do the same thing, 2" sashing on the sides then one long strip between rows and on the outsides.

CoriAmD 11-20-2010 07:00 PM

This is how I do it too

Betty Angel 11-23-2010 07:07 AM

Thanks to all who was so kind to give me information on sashing I shall try my hand at it .

WANNABE 02-27-2011 11:57 AM

I have done it this way before also and it is easier. BUT I seen it done with sandwiching the block and putting decortive stitches on the seams than sewing the blocks with backs together. Than putting the sashing on top to hide the seam. It looked really nice. But now that I am actually doing it it seems hard than what I remember it being. And can't find it. Any help in that direction? As I already have the blocks sandwiched together.
thanks

margolane 09-13-2011 10:00 AM

Hi Kathy, I just joined again and would like to know if you are familiar with a ragged edge sashing for a bulls eye quilt? I saw one and am dying to know how to make it. Thanks, Margolane