Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   saving for a new perfect machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/saving-new-perfect-machine-t211690.html)

seahorsesanna 01-22-2013 12:26 PM

saving for a new perfect machine

so I had a brother that couldnt sew a straight line if the fabric was held down with cement so I got an old kenmore model that I like well enough but I really want one that has a scissor button but am not will to pay over a grand for one does anyone have one that doesnt cost and arm and a leg that they like really well?

Shelbie 01-22-2013 01:06 PM

There are no perfect machines that I have been able to find. It's a matter of trying them out and finding the one that suits your sewing needs best. If you are machine quilting large quilts, you will need a machine with as much harp space as possible. If you are just a piecer, you will have more options. Currently I am looking at the Juki Exceed 600 or the Juki TL2010Q which are both in your price range. I am presently stitching on a Janome 6500 which most people love but I have had a lot of trouble with it so I don't want another Janome. Good luck in the search.

sewmary 01-22-2013 01:26 PM

I am very happy with my Pfaff Ambition. It sews a straight line without me doing much of anything to guide it! It does not have a scissors function so I guess I don't miss it. It has a bigger harp space than most but there certainly are bigger ones out there. It will be under your budget.

I agree that there is no such thing as a perfect machine, but this Pfaff is perfect for me! The only thing I dislike is that it has a screw-on needle plate. Pain in the butt to have to unscrew it to get in and clean the bobbin area.

Jingle 01-22-2013 01:46 PM

I have a Babylock Jane about $900.00 that has the scissor button. It can be a pain as there is a tail of about 1/2" and needle comes unthreaded very easy. I could live without that feature. It is a straight stitch only, works well for me, I just make quilts. Nothing is perfect, including machines.

SuzieQuilts 01-22-2013 04:03 PM

Sorry, I am no help on this one. I have a Bernina 820 and feel like I will never have to buy another machine. However, I do have an arm and a leg missing. LOL

lynmccoy 01-22-2013 04:16 PM

I am also looking for an upgrade to my old but reliable sewing machine. A friend who teaches sewing classes gave me some excellent advice. She said to buy a sewing machine that would do what I actually used it for,not be swayed by be number of bells and whistles it had.

Dolphyngyrl 01-22-2013 05:08 PM

Sorry I don't think I would be of much help I love my brothers, never had one not sew a straight line. I am in love with my new dreamweaver as well and am also missing and arm and a leg

nvb50 01-22-2013 06:29 PM

I am very pleased with my husqvarna Viking ruby.

LyndaOH 01-22-2013 08:47 PM

I have a Juki 600 and love it! Great straight stitch, nice 1/4" foot, thread cutter, needle up-down, the foot pedal also cuts the thread and a needle threader. The harp is about 8" or so. Great for piecing.

Little RoO 01-23-2013 01:14 AM

Hi, I bought a second hand Janome 6600 and couldn't be more happy with it....it is really solid and sews beautifully....have looked at moving to the 7700 but just wouldn't want to trade in my 6600. I find the scissor action really useful.