Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scissors..What to buy. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-what-buy-t10513.html)

bearisgray 08-24-2008 11:42 AM

I love my Ginghers - I also am fond of my rotary cutting equpiment.

If she doesn't have that, you might consider setting her up with that.

How about you go to a quilt shop - ask some questions - then buy a gift certificate to JoAnn's with a WHAT TO GET WITH IT note attached so she can get the items on sale -

I think it depends on the size of her hands and what kind of fabrics she works with.

I don't know if Michaels carries the Gingher line.

Anyway, you sound like a sweetie.

tlrnhi 08-24-2008 12:44 PM

PIZZA??
Did someone mention food???

Elizabeth A. 08-24-2008 01:05 PM

Hi there, this is a very nice thought. One thing to consider about the scissors, do her hands ever cause her pain when she's been doing lots of sewing cutting or anything for that matter? If that's the case the best scissors wouldn't been scissors at all but instead sheers. These have a spring inside that causes them to spring open thereby are much less fatigueing to use. Fiskars soft touch are recommended by the Arthritis Foundation and I have found them to be much more comfortable to use than scissors. These are less expensive than others listed but they do come with a lifetime warranty if anything goes wrong. The Fiskars line also has a small pair for clipping threads.

As for a sewing box, look for something bigger than she has, ideally something with internal compartments to hold things like needles, buttons, ect.

Wally 08-24-2008 01:10 PM

Good thought. Her hands are ok so far.

Elizabeth A. 08-24-2008 01:20 PM

Glad to hear it, :) the first time I went scissor shopping I told my dh I told him flat out I didn't want those crazy scissors with the spring! ;) Needless to say those pretty ones without the spring went back within the week and I got down to research.

About how big is her sewing box now?

Wally 08-24-2008 01:46 PM

It's really kind of small.
But I found when looking around (spying) that
she has 3 plastic boxes.
I might find more if I keep looking.
I'm not gonna look any more.

I think that I might let her get her own sewing basket..........

bearisgray 08-24-2008 01:59 PM

In our household, I would really prefer a gift certificate with a "category" of what I'm supposed to get.

I have so much of everything in the sewing/quilting category, that I frequently end up just looking - even when things are on sale!

I won't buy tools for my husband - he's picky - and if he sends me out to buy a part or whatever, I have him either give me a screw or whatever and then go to the store person and ask for help - or write down the part number.

Then, if it's wrong - - - - -

You could go shopping together - see what catches her eye - - -

(Although if MY husband offered to go fabric/quilt store shopping WITH me, I might suffer a heart attack from surprise!)

SaraSewing 08-24-2008 03:43 PM

I found a cute quote: "Going shopping with your husband is like going hunting with the game warden". Therefore, my husband doesn't go to the fabric shop with me! Although he is great about oohing and aahing over my projects. Bet you are too, Wally!

Wally 08-24-2008 03:53 PM

Yeaaa

She doesn't want me around when she goes shopping for things that
I have no interest in.

Can't blame her.

grannypjb 08-26-2008 06:12 AM

I have been a seamstress/quilter for about 40 years. I swear by Gingher scissors. I have several pair. I have 2 - 8-1/2" dressmakers; applique, embroidery scissors. One thing about this company is that when the blades get dull, you can send them back to the factory and for a nominal fee, they will resharpen them. They come back in like brand new condition.

You will also need to make sure that you are getting scissors for right or left handed people. This is important as the blades are different.

Good luck and what a wonderful gift.