Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ?? for scrappy quilters about planning/layout (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilters-about-planning-layout-t36833.html)

sew cornie 02-13-2010 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For those who are experienced in making scrappy quilts, I'd appreciate your input on what you'd do with these. The pattern is a 6" square called "Dad's Plaids" from quilterscache. Each square uses 2 fabrics. The fabrics I have are all FQ's from Connecting Threads, most from their "Hearth and Home" collection. Here are my questions regarding the squares:

1. Would you pair up similar colors for each block (ie. light green/dark green)? Or would you use contrasting colors (ie. dark brown/light blue)?

2. Would you stick with the original block plan of using 2 colors per block? Or would you completely mix it up with a different fabric for each square and appliqued petal, enabling each block to contain 8 fabrics? If mixing it up, would you use a light/dark contrast or just "grab from the bag"?

3. Would you do the entire quilt top (queen bed size) in this pattern? Or would you be inclined to unify the quilt by using one fabric for setting squares and a border?

I've never done a scrappy with this many colors to consider. The background of the squares will be machine pieced and the petals done by needle turned applique. Thank you for whatever advice you can offer.

quazyquilter 02-13-2010 05:36 PM

you might want to try doing 2 colors per 4 patch, this would highlight each individual block, otherwise, if you want a totally "scrappy" look mix them all up. If you want contrast throughout the quilt, use light and dark in each segment. Did this
help or did it make it more confusing? Conni

lisalovesquilting 02-13-2010 05:43 PM

How about 4 fabrics per block? I think 8 would be too busy. I would use light/dark of any of the fabrics. Hope this helps.

mamaw 02-13-2010 05:53 PM

I vote for 4 per block, using light and darks in each.

athenagwis 02-13-2010 05:56 PM

I agree, I think 8 would be too much and you would lose the block pattern that way. Using two colors per block would still be scrappy since every block will have a different 2 colors. I too would use light and dark as shown on the pattern since this will again highlight the pattern. You want to be able to see what the shapes are and I think if you do dark on dark, you won't see that.

Have fun! Can't wait to see it!!

Rachel

craftybear 02-13-2010 06:05 PM

I think the light and darks would be pretty with 4 blocks.

Have fun and be sure to post as you start making them so we can see and enjoy.

Karen

Ninnie 02-13-2010 06:12 PM

I would go with 2 contrasting colors for each square.
You have a great bunch of fq to choose from.

JJean 02-13-2010 07:06 PM

I'd probably divide the fabric into 2 piles, one dark pile and one light pile. I'd pull them up at random from the 2 piles, using one dark and one light.

If it was me, I'd add a bright fabric to give it a little spice.

Dawn Hendrix 02-13-2010 07:09 PM

I agree with JJean... just pull from the 2 piles and let it be what it is.. Can't wait to see it!

brushandthimble 02-13-2010 07:10 PM

A great selection of fabrics! I agree with 4 colors light and dark for contrast. I would mix up the colors (not light/dark of same color) I might even on an odd number of blocks, change up the fabrics a bit more. After the quilt top is complete it may tell you what color of border.