Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps- how small is too small. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-how-small-too-small-t209975.html)

patchsamkim 01-03-2013 07:35 PM

The smallest I save is 1-1/2" squares. I have plastic boxes full of squares 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", 3",3-1/2", 4", 5" and I use them as "leaders" and "enders" and it is amazing how much you can get done with the "inbetween" sewing. I also have boxes with strips 1-1/2", 2", and 2-1/2" and go into those when doing strip piecing. Anything smaller, or odd shaped that I do not want to deal with goes to my quilt guild "put and take" table.

Virginiagirl 01-05-2013 04:05 AM

Made a log cabin hexagon block using paper piecing. Used 1.5 inch strips. Turned out great

scrappingfaye58 01-05-2013 04:58 AM

I do a version of Bonnie Hunter... I keep 2", 2 1/2", 3", 3 1/2", 5" and 6" squares. And 2", 2 1/2" 3" and 3 1/2" strips. When I have a leftover chunk, I cut the biggest of those I can, then cut the rest. For me, a strip needs to be at least 8". I then keep the odd pieces and do crumb blocks. They are especially nice when I need to retreat to my sewing space, but don't want to have to think too hard.

Daylesewblessed 01-05-2013 05:04 AM

I do a lot of "sew and flip", so I keep irregular pieces, but only in certain colors. I give away the tiny pieces to the art center for their summer kids programs. A person has to decide what they might do with scraps in the future and save accordingly, also depending on space available.

joym 01-05-2013 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by dash2000lbs (Post 5759533)
Thks went to Bonnie Hunter site ... Great information!!

I LOVE to make crumb quilts.....

Lstew2212 01-05-2013 05:15 AM

I have just been inspired. I have a scrap bin that is now overflowing. I am going to cut all my scraps into usable 1 inch squares and then I am going to make a scrap quilt with all my left overs. I love the scrappy blocks made in the crumbs quilt. I love this quilt board. Can't believe I have not found it earlier. Thanks Ladies and Gents

lclang 01-05-2013 06:05 AM

NO scrap is too small. Use the tiniest scraps for postcards, chop them up even smaller and use them in confetti applique where you arrange them as you wish and then cover with water soluble material and then sew the heck out of them so that everything is fastened down securely and then wash to dissolve the water soluble stuff for interesting 3-D effects. Fun and easy. Makes lovely postcards, small appliques, etc.

Noiseynana 01-05-2013 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by gabeway (Post 5759029)
All quilts come with some scraps but when do you say this is too small to keep? Also do you square up odd shaped pieces or keep them as they are? I have several bins of small pieces I'm not sure are worth keeping.

Someone the other day gave a link to a lady named Gail Hunt. She does "confetti" wall quilts. Thats what I am doin with mine.

TanyaL 01-05-2013 07:00 AM

Anything smaller than my hand gets thrown away.

Quilter Day-by-Day 01-05-2013 07:11 AM

I have a lot of scraps to organize so I just started cutting mine into 3"4"5"and 11/2"strips 2"strips and some smaller strips that I piece together for strip blocks but the smallest I do is 1 1/2" blocks for postage stamps. Anything smaller is tossed into a box and when I get it full there was a lady on here that uses scraps for dog beds for kennels or the pound or something but I don't remember who you are so if you see this pm me who you are.