Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrapy quilt folks question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrapy-quilt-folks-question-t193173.html)

beatys9 06-29-2012 09:26 PM

Scrapy quilt folks question

1 Attachment(s)
Today I feel like I hit the scraps jackpot. I responded to an ad on Craigslist for a couple of boxes of quilting scraps as someone was cleaning out a storage area. I picked them up after work today, spent the last couple of hours going through boxes and picked out three fabrics I like the best. The rest I plan to give away on the Board. This person was clearly mass producing some craft item as she has the fabric in stacks with cuts all the way through multiple layers. The result is that though they are scraps, there is lots of each print. My question is - would people prefer to get an assortment (stacks) of different fabrics or multiple pieces of several of the same fabrics? I have a bias towards things matching so I definitely fall into the later category but I've never done a scrapy quilt. My sense from the amount of many of the designs is that there is enough to combine & make other quilts too that are not scrapy. What does everyone think?

Candace 06-29-2012 09:27 PM

I'd prefer an assortment. Good for you!

4EVERquilt 06-29-2012 09:55 PM

Just have fun with them putting them together, you will figure a home for each of those scraps.

sweetana3 06-30-2012 02:02 AM

Those scraps would be great for our charity donation tops for kids. We do cutting "parties" to make kits to give out at guild meetings to have members sew them up. It is so much fun to see new to us fabrics and get crazy prints.

justflyingin 06-30-2012 03:26 AM

An assortment. There probably isn't enough to actually give enough for a quilt. I love the look of a variety of fabrics. And yes, I do a lot of charity quilts for kids...definitely the assortment. It looks like really pretty fabric.

Glad you got something good off of Craig's List. Neat.

ArtsyOne 06-30-2012 03:34 AM

An assortment - I love buying scrap bags at quilt shops. Always like Christmas.

salemrabbits 06-30-2012 03:42 AM

the scrappiness of my scrap quilts is the amount of different fabrics I have acquired by all my quilting friends. Bits of this and that, sometimes tiny little things that I chain together--so this pile of goodies you have-swap some with friends and max the colors and patterns. Looks to be a grand time to me to try a scrappy. Google scrap quilts and see what is out there, you might be up for a challenge!

alfosa421 06-30-2012 04:11 AM

I vote for assortment But if there is a lot of something cut into strip, save it for sashing and binding to go around the others that you don't have so much of. And, if you get tired of looking at it send some this way!!!!!

scrappingfaye58 06-30-2012 04:43 AM

i too agree with an assortment... and if there is a lottery for the extras, put my name in please? teee heee... I love scrappy quilts, my girl friend from guild, gave me 2 bags of her scraps, but what she considers scraps is as big or bigger than fat quarters...

Have a great day!

Sandra in Minnesota 06-30-2012 11:28 AM

Agree to an assortment. Love making scrappy quilts!