Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   seem ripper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seem-ripper-t197134.html)

evelyn5269 08-09-2012 08:14 AM

seem ripper

What is the best ripper available with a fine point? I have to rip out and entire binding on aquilt and it is really sewed tight. I have a good one but it is only about 2 or 2.5 inches long and my hand cramps up using it very long. My other one is to big onthe tip to get under the threads.
Thanks,
Evelyn

Deborahlees 08-09-2012 08:17 AM

I love my Havel which has like a thin razer blade tip, you just need to be very very careful as it is very sharp.

debbieumphress 08-09-2012 08:38 AM

Gosh, I'm not home right now, dogsitting for dd, so I can't look. I do know when you go to buy one they have wonderful new ones that have nice thin, sharp points and they stitches just break apart. Have to watch the edges thought like Deborahlees says.....Havels are good. I'll have to watch this thread and see other suggestions. Always good to learn more.....I handquilt so not tight stitches but do machine piece too.
I only use tight stitches when Paper piecing.....Good luck
And sorry you have to take it out.....

Freddie 08-09-2012 08:48 AM

I personally like the small ones the best. However, I just bought the Mighty bright at a show. It has a light and a megnafying glass, so you can see your stitches better. Google the words in and see who has it. Also, when you use your little one, cut only a stitch every inch or so, the go to the backside of your work and pull on the thread. It will come out easy and saves time.

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 (Post 5428773)
What is the best ripper available with a fine point? I have to rip out and entire binding on aquilt and it is really sewed tight. I have a good one but it is only about 2 or 2.5 inches long and my hand cramps up using it very long. My other one is to big onthe tip to get under the threads.
Thanks,
Evelyn

alwayslearning 08-09-2012 09:21 AM

One friend actually uses her rotary cutter to rip out. She is very efficient and fast. I would be scared to death.

Tartan 08-09-2012 09:56 AM

I just buy the small inexpensive ones with the narrow tip and pitch them when they get dull. I usually unsew seams by using my narrow pointed scissors. I cut the bobbin thread every 3 to 4 stitches and then pull the top thread to remove the stitching. If the stitching line is really tight with tiny stitches, I pull the 2 fabrics apart to expose the thread and touch a little eye brow trimming wand to the thread. I got the tip here on QB to buy the eye brow shaper. It has a tiny razor blade with a mesh guard to trim hair without cutting yourself. It works well to cut the thread without cutting the fabric.

DogHouseMom 08-09-2012 10:38 AM

Clover ... no doubt in my mind :)

I hate the small free ones that come with the machine, they don't fit my hand properly (and I have very small hands) and when I grip them, the cap keeps sliding off.

The Clover has a wonderful comfortable handle and it is very sharp and has a nice point. I bought it for the handle, and after I used it I couldn't believe how much better the business end of it was than the cheapo ones that I was using.

jcrow 08-09-2012 11:04 AM

The very best in the world is the one is here... http://www.southwestsewingmachines.c...oductid,,116RZ. It has the razor on the end. It is very sharp and work excellently. Also, I bought a man's electric hair razor and it is awesome!!!! You don't even have to touch the thread and it clips it. It only costs $13. And they had cheaper ones. I got it at Rite Aid as I won't go into WalMart. I wish

Lori S 08-09-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5429104)
Clover ... no doubt in my mind :)

I hate the small free ones that come with the machine, they don't fit my hand properly (and I have very small hands) and when I grip them, the cap keeps sliding off.

The Clover has a wonderful comfortable handle and it is very sharp and has a nice point. I bought it for the handle, and after I used it I couldn't believe how much better the business end of it was than the cheapo ones that I was using.

I just did the same bought the clover with the big handle .. why did I wait so long. You don't realize the difference in that little one to the big handle till you use it for a bit... I would like to believe I don't need one as much as I used too .. but I guess that part of quilting never really dissappears.

mary quilting 08-09-2012 11:49 AM

I bought The Quick Ripper on line not long ago well today I put it to good use. It is the fast thing ever for getting stitches out. I love it were has it been all my life. I saw it on a thread here. and then I bough it on etsy, Here is a youtub www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA_2m0ZO8EA The Quick Ripper is a battery operated seam ripper ( like a mustache trimmer ) it is very fast I love it