Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sensitive question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sensitive-question-t220414.html)

CRO 04-30-2013 07:47 PM

Sensitive question

I took a quilt to a new to me LAQ in Feb. as she is very highly recommended. At that time she said she didn't have anything else to work on, but her dad was having surgery the next week so it would be the next week or two before she got it done.
I took a second to her 3 weeks later expecting to see mine being worked on. Instead she showed me one on her LA and mine was in a pile under several others.
I had hoped to give it to my mother the end of May. I want to call and just get a time frame for when it will be done, but dont want to sound pushy or rude.
Wondering how those on both sides of this situation think about me calling just for an update. It doesn't look to me like I'm going to get it in time as I would still have to bind it which I have never done before. The other person I used would bind them for $20 which I gladly paid.
Anyway, should I call and ask letting her know I'm not trying to rush her or just wait for her to call me when its done?

JoanPooley 04-30-2013 08:22 PM

If you are paying for a service, then a polite phone call should be ok. Let us know how things progress.

greensleeves 04-30-2013 08:27 PM

Call her and let her know the first quilt you brought is for your mother at the end of May and you need it at least a week before that. That isn't being pushy. If you just wait for her to call it may continue to stay at the bottom of the stack. I do LA quilting and I don't mind my customers calling and asking the status of their quilt. I usually give them a time frame when they drop it off and some call a couple of days ahead of time just to check if things are on schedule.

Prism99 04-30-2013 08:31 PM

I agree with greensleeves, except I would say I need it two weeks before the end of May. It's not a matter of being pushy; it's a matter of letting her know that your quilt has a deadline. With this information she will know whether or not she can finish it by your deadline. If not, she needs to tell you that so you can take it to someone else.

It would have been best to let her know about the deadline when you first gave her the quilt.

Jennie and Me 04-30-2013 09:33 PM

She said that she didn't have anything else to work on when you took your quilt to her, therefore you should expect your quilt to be done already. I would call her and explain that I need it done by the middle of May. Period. Two (plus) months is a pretty long waiting period.

Daylesewblessed 05-01-2013 03:35 AM

It seems that this LAQ has had a change in the demands in her life since February, and she is no longer on the schedule she thought she would be on. You should definitely check in with her and let her know when you need the quilt finished. My mother had a similar situation with a LAQ last year. Honest communication helps.

HillCountryGal 05-01-2013 04:14 AM

Hummmm... nothing else to work on AND now your's is under a pile of other quilts???

I'd definately give her a call and explain you have a deadline. If she can't do it, you need to know.

I've done alterations for folks for years and would never promise something and not deliver. That's just good business!

aborning 05-01-2013 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 6037405)
Hummmm... nothing else to work on AND now your's is under a pile of other quilts???

I'd definately give her a call and explain you have a deadline. If she can't do it, you need to know.

I've done alterations for folks for years and would never promise something and not deliver. That's just good business!

I agree with giving her an immediate call. Call her and remind her that when you dropped the first quilt off--she said she did not have anything else to work on and yet when you went there 3 weeks later, she had a different quilt on the frame. Give her a deadline of having it done within a week. I do LAQ for customers (plus I work a full time job outside of the home) and I always give my customers an approximate deadline--and I adhere to it. I am always thinking about customer service and want repeat customers. I live in a rural area and do my LAQ business solely by word-of-mouth and it helps me support my children in college so to me it is exremely important to give my customers great customer service and complete satisfaction so that they continue to use me as there LAQ and so that they tell others. Giving good customer service is basically"free advertising" for your business. If I went to a LAQ and got the treatment you are getting from your LAQ, I would definitely be telling everyone I know--not to go to that LAQ. Good luck.

thequilteddove 05-01-2013 04:43 AM

I agree w/HillCountryGal. It's customary to get an approximate turn-around time from your LAQ. Also for them to tell you what it's going to cost you up front for their services. My work load usually lends to a 6-8 wk turn-around. Many times I can get them done sooner, but after years of experience I've learnt to put a "life happens" buffer in. The reason for 6-8 wks, is because I do it part time & some times life just gets in the way. Also, there are rare occasions when my machines breaks down, or tension goes bonkers causing eyelashes on a quilt, or a tuck appears on the back of a quilt. I will completely rip out and fix situation of this nature and trust me it takes a LONG time to do it. Before I'll accept a rush job, I make sure that it's not going to ill affect any turn-around deadlines I already have in place. If I should be taking more time than I had promised (which I strive not to do), I call/email my customer although there can be situations in life that can make us not want to talk to anyone for a short period.... If a customer is getting concerned, there's nothing wrong w/them calling and finding out what the status of their quilt(s) may be. I have received calls within two weeks from customers even though I promised 6-8 wks. We LAQs understand that these quilts are your babies. We understand the cost, the love & the time invested in them. With all that being said, it is helpful that our customers let us know right away if there is a 'drop dead' date for when the quilt is needed. That way we can let you know up front whether or not we can meet it. Most of us go by the date we physically receive the quilt and place them in the queue on a first come first serve basis. A satisfied customer may try other LAQs because they are cheaper or faster, but eventually they stay with/go back to the LAQ that gave them the best product/service for their money. They may even pay a little extra just because the quality of workmanship & overall service is worth it.

judylg 05-01-2013 04:44 AM

If it were me and I was getting a little upset with the whole situation, I would call and ask for my quilt top and find someone else to do it. She has had it long enough and if she is unhapppy, so be it. She has had ample time to do it, even with a sick person in her life. Maybe I am hard, but sometimes you have to be. Good luck.