Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger - What can you do with one????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-what-can-you-do-one-t55102.html)

judy_68 07-18-2010 01:52 PM

I was just wondering what all you can do with a serger. For some reason I would like to get one but I don't even really know what they do. lol
Any feedback would be great.
Judy in Ohio

UglyCook 07-18-2010 01:55 PM

I originally bought mine to zip bags back together after I took them apart to embroider on them. Works great for that. I have also used mine now to make some simple garments.

It's a ton of thread, but it would work to make very fast quilts, too.

ktbb 07-18-2010 01:58 PM

you can do ALMOST everything you can do with a regular machine as far as piecing and stitching seams. The serger may be overkill in quilting I think because there is so much thread to quilt over. I'm not proficient at my serger since I don't use it much, and while I'm glad I have it, I don't want to do without my regular machine. I've found it most useful for working with fabrics that fray a lot - one pass on the serger makes the double seam plus overcasts the edges and it would take me two or more passes on a regular machine (i'd probably forget the second straight row of stitching just to save time)

redquilter 07-18-2010 04:07 PM

I've been wondering about them myself. I can't see myself using it much, except I was wondering if it would be worth it to get one to use on the flannel receiving blankets I made for charity. At present I hem them using a zig-zag. Anybody care to talk me into or out of a purchase? :D

UglyCook 07-18-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter
I've been wondering about them myself. I can't see myself using it much, except I was wondering if it would be worth it to get one to use on the flannel receiving blankets I made for charity. At present I hem them using a zig-zag. Anybody care to talk me into or out of a purchase? :D

It is very useful for edging blankets. I've done a nice blanket stitch on fleece using wooly nylon.

redquilter 07-18-2010 06:28 PM

Hmmmm- anyone else care to twist my arm?

twistedstitcher 07-18-2010 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter

I don't think I'd ever use mine for quilting but it's very useful in making garments. I use mine for finishing flannel receiving blankets, burp pads, etc. and also for the odd garment I make.

franie 07-18-2010 06:42 PM

I use mine to sew with but not on quilting. But I do always serge my backings before they go on the frame so they won't ravel. I have had mine for years. It gets a lot of use when making jammies etc.

miss_ticky2 07-18-2010 08:52 PM

I used to use mine a lot for dressmaking (finishing seams) and it's great for knit fabrics..eg t-shirts etc. Haven't used it a lot lately because I've mostly been quilting. I did make a quilted cover for my old serger that I gave my daughter and I finished the seams on that with it. Wouldn't be without mine :)

AnnaK 07-18-2010 09:06 PM

i've used mine recently to make pillowcases for charity and for my grandsons. It makes a nice finished seam inside with no raveling and it trims the seams at the same time so no bulk. I have also made dinner napkins out of batiks for the different holidays. They make nice gifts. One can never have too many napkins.