Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sergers and Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sergers-quilting-t19027.html)

mamabird3 04-15-2009 09:45 PM

Do any of you use Sergers for quilting?

I received one as a gift about 13 years ago. Besides taking a class when I first got it and messing with it a little at home, I have never used it. Never sewn anything on it... I am thinking of selling it. What do you think?

amma 04-15-2009 10:50 PM

Some people use it to serge around the edge of the quilt before sewing on the binding, they say it makes the binding nicer. I have also seen quilts made with the serger and some people serge the fabric edges before washing to keep it from unraveling.

omak 04-18-2009 05:15 PM

Some quilters use their serger to piece their quilts.
the outside needle is usually a quarter inch from the blade, perfect for that seam allowance we are all striving for ...
the down side is: two needle, two loopers ... use a lot more thread.
I just wanted you to know it could be done <g>.

RedGarnet222 04-18-2009 05:41 PM

I use mine mostly as an overlock to clean up those seams.

I use my serger all the time when I am sewing for my little niece, sarah. It is wonderful for hemming and serging the inside seams together for a great finish. I have to make her clothes perfect or my brother won't use them. He is raising her by himself and he thinks home-made is inferior to store-bought!! What a maroon! (As daffy would say.) :lol:

I also use mine for quick seasonal table runners and placemat gifts. Well to tell the truth, I use it alot while I am just regular sewing anything. Home dec stuff, like draperies.

I wouldn't get rid of my babylock for the world!

Prism99 04-18-2009 10:57 PM

I tried piecing a quilt with the serger. It made the seams too stiff for my liking. A serger puts a lot more thread into the seam. Also there was more distortion when pressing because the two seam allowances are bound together; they couldn't ease to the side. This made the seams thicker and lumpier too. Next time I would make the stitches as long as possible to put less thread in the seams. I have seen nice tops that were pieced on a serger, so I know it can be done.

The biggest advantage of using a serger is the speed at which you can sew; sergers can move fabric *fast*!

CindyBee 04-19-2009 01:26 AM

I've never used my serger for quilting, but love it for other sewing. Sometimes it seems like I don't use it a lot, but it's one of those things that that sure come in handy when you need them. They make a wonderful hem. I just finished making curtains for my Mom's sunroom - 14 windows! I still occasionally sew a few clothes for myself and now with a baby granddaughter about to arrive, I'm sure I'll be sewing for her. I would keep your serger Mamabird. As soon as you get rid of it, you'll probably wish you still had it. Isn't that always the way? LOL

Quiltntime 04-19-2009 03:13 PM

I've made 10 quilts, for my grandchildren, with my serger. The pattern I used was Kaye Wood's "The 6-Hour Quilt". FYI: It took more than 6 hours to make each quilt. :wink: This is an easy reversible quilt.

Twelve years later my grandchildren are still sleeping with these durable quilts.

amma 04-19-2009 06:42 PM

I seam to remember watching a show where they only used 3 threads when they were serging the quilt. They serged the seams and then tugged on the seams a little and the seams stretched out a bit and it layed very flat with the seam laying between the blocks. It was on either America Quilts Creatively or America Sews Creatively I believe.