Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-help-please-t112270.html)

GrandmK 03-31-2011 08:09 AM

I have a white sewing machine. Nothing fancy. It has started not sewing. I mean I sew and everything goes along good. I finish a seam and look at it and it looks good top and bottem and then I realize it pulls right out. A little tug on either top or bottom thread and it all comes out. I have re threaded a SILLION times. it is right. I took out bobbin case and holder and oiled it. I changed stitches NOTHING helps. WHAT could be wrong. Is something broken?? What could be wrong.
I honestly thought I had somehow lost part of the bobbin case holder but that is not the case and it is back in right. The stitches look right and I have not changed the tension. they LOOK good.

mhunt1717 03-31-2011 08:11 AM

Is the needle facing the right way for your machine? It makes a big difference in mine, but it's not a White!

amma 03-31-2011 08:11 AM

Try changing your bobbin, my machine will do this if the plastic bobbin has a burr on it or it did not wind properly :D:D:D

luce321 03-31-2011 08:15 AM

Sounds as though your tension needs to be adjusted. I've had that happen to me.

icon17 03-31-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmK
I have a white sewing machine. Nothing fancy. It has started not sewing. I mean I sew and everything goes along good. I finish a seam and look at it and it looks good top and bottem and then I realize it pulls right out. A little tug on either top or bottom thread and it all comes out. I have re threaded a SILLION times. it is right. I took out bobbin case and holder and oiled it. I changed stitches NOTHING helps. WHAT could be wrong. Is something broken?? What could be wrong.
I honestly thought I had somehow lost part of the bobbin case holder but that is not the case and it is back in right. The stitches look right and I have not changed the tension. they LOOK good.

If All the other things don't work try asking Billy ' Lostn51 '
8-)

milp04 03-31-2011 08:31 AM

Did you make sure that the thread in the bobbin is going the correct direction? Have you cleaned the machine? Do you have the needle positioned correctly, do you have a new needle, the correct needle for machine and fabric? Are you making sure the bobbin case is clicked in securely? Have you tried to change the thread to something different? Can you remember what you did before the machine starting not sewing correctly? Is the thread from the top spool coming off the spool in the correction direction?

There are several tutorials about sewing maintenance. There is a series of videos about sewing maintenance on You Tube that is very helpful and educational, just type in the search area at their site.

Good luck with getting your machine back to sewing nicely for you. Have you had your machine checked out by your local sewing machine service repairman? Maybe it's time to have her professionally serviced.

Pam M

GrandmK 03-31-2011 09:11 AM

Just checked was so excited that it might be something simple. It was a metal bobbin but I tried a different metal and a plastic still the same!! It does sound like a thrashing machine!! More than it ever did.

Originally Posted by amma
Try changing your bobbin, my machine will do this if the plastic bobbin has a burr on it or it did not wind properly :D:D:D

irishrose 03-31-2011 09:18 AM

If it sounds like a thrashing machine, it's crying for oil. I just tore my 301 down last night and oiled everything I could. It's only been two projects since I last did it.

The problems you are describing are tension related. Make sure there's no lint in the bobbin area and clean out the tension disks on the top with dental floss, then adjust the tensions slightly. If the top thread is the one that pulls out easily, then it is too tight and the bottom too loose. If the bobbin thread pulls out, then the top is too loose.

GrandmK 03-31-2011 09:18 AM

I checked the bobbin is in right. Have a new needle different thread cleaned all of those things. I had been sewing and it would sew fine and maybe after about 3 or 4 blocks chain piecing it would sew but then pull out BUT it would start sewing again. So if I had like 10 blocks I was chain piecing when I finished in the middle of them would be 3 or 4 blocks that the stitching fell out on. I will have to see if I can find a repair man. The one I have used in the past is retired and goes to Texas for the summer. When I called him he gave me his son's phone number but I left a message and he never called me back. The other one in town is soooooooooo expensive and won't even look at it for less the $65.00 Not sure it is worth it to pay that and find out it can't be fixed. i will check out towns near by but as far as I know there are not any.

Originally Posted by icon17

Originally Posted by GrandmK

If All the other things don't work try asking Billy ' Lostn51 '
8-)

GrandmK 03-31-2011 10:08 AM

Adjust the tension even tho it looks good on both sides?? Upper and lower. Which one should I adjust???

Originally Posted by luce321
Sounds as though your tension needs to be adjusted. I've had that happen to me.