Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Insurance?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-insurance-t180353.html)

pinkberrykay 02-23-2012 05:42 AM

Sewing Machine Insurance??

Does anyone have an insurance rider for their sewing machines?? I have one for jewelry and my photography equipment, wasn't sure if there was one for a sewing machine.

quiltinggirl 02-23-2012 05:52 AM

I have insurance for mine! It only added $3 more a month to my policy so I think it is well worth the money.

lfletcher 02-23-2012 06:00 AM

When I bought my Gammill, I had my insurance agent come out and he said I didn't need a separate rider. It would just be part of my contents coverage. He did take photos.

Lori S 02-23-2012 06:03 AM

I have additional insurance on all of my quilting "STUFF". Machines, tools, fabric , books, tables ... all of it. Check with your agent some polices will cover .. but to a limit. Whe I was talking to mine he asked me what the valuation/replacement value would be ... He was stunned at the $$$ . He said "this I have to see" , when you took a look ..he said "this isn't that much". I then pulled off a stack of fabric and told him each fabric represented ruffly $10.00 and there was about 20 in the stack... He quickly did the math for just fabric ... then we moved on to machine with all the accesories... before we got to the books etc ... he stopped me and said "you need additional coverage". It is in part because my studio is in the basement ..and my policy limits the claim for basement water damage( most policies do limit basement coverage) .

AnitaSt 02-23-2012 06:37 AM

I'm glad you mentioned this. My sewing machine is probably the most expensive item in our house! And I live on the Gulf Coast in hurricane territory. I'll call my agent....thanks for the heads up.

Deborah12687 02-23-2012 06:43 AM

If you are going to have basement studio best bet is to seal the floor and walls with this rubber like sealant plus we had a humidfire that we ran. We got a nice credit from our insurance company for doing that.

QuiltnNan 02-23-2012 07:50 AM

yes, contacting the insurance agent is important. thanks for the reminder, i've been meaning to contact mine :)

cmw0829 02-23-2012 07:43 PM

After I bought a rather expensive machine, I called my insurance company. They said it was covered by my contents coverage but that I should take care to keep my receipts as proof of the purchase. I need to take copies and photos and stow them in my safe deposit box.

Doreen 02-23-2012 07:54 PM

Good info to know.

MaryLane 02-23-2012 08:22 PM

I check with my insurance each year when we review our policies. Mine are all covered as long as I am not running a business using them. If I do, I need separate insurance. Everything in the house is covered at replacement cost up to 80% of the value of the home's insurance.