Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine jamming (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-jamming-t2381.html)

jumperfamily 09-21-2007 11:24 AM

I've had the same problem. It turned out I had thrown my timing out by stitching through some thick, plastic coated fabric. It was a quick-fix at the shop and didn't cost too much.
BTW - I jumped up and down on the fabric that caused the problem and then tossed it all in the trash! It made me feel a whole lot better. :lol:
Shelly

ButtercreamCakeArtist 09-22-2007 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Thanks Buttercream for the response. I know how you felt. I told my family the other night that I was going to walk away from the sewing machine for the night. I told them that if I didn't I was going to toss it in the floor, stomp it and then cuss it.

I sewed last night. It only jammed twice and not bad. I have had these needles for years. They are in the pack. But I do not know if they have ever been used. I will go this weekend and buy new ones. If it continues to jam I will just take it in to be serviced.

Hopefully it is only the needle causing the problem. THat would be easier and cheaper than having is serviced. I have never used the stuff you are using for the casserole cozies, but maybe it is just the insul-brite gumming up the works?? I'm not familiar with the stuff at all, but could that be it?

Also, did you take the hose attachment of your vaccuum cleaner and (remove your bottom bobbin and shuttle) suck it out real good in there?
That might help more than just brushing out that area.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 09-22-2007 07:28 AM

wait...I didn't mean actually "gumming" up, but "jamming"...you know, doing that thing it's doing.

Suz 09-23-2007 09:36 AM

Jamming. I interpret this as meaning the fabrics pull down into the needlehole. Right?

When I have my jamming problem, it is because I have my zigzag needle plate installed. If I change to the single needle hole plate, the problem is solved. And like others have suggested, use a sharp needle.

WARNING!!! be sure to return to the zigzag needle plate if you are going to use a decorative stitch OR you will break a needle and bugger up your plate.

Suzanne

chamby 09-24-2007 04:43 AM

No the jamming is when the thread gets jammed or caught in the bobbin area. I think I have solved the problem though. I went the weekend and purchased a new bobbin case. Which cost me $10. I WILL NEVER TOUCH THE SCREW ON MY BOBBIN CASE AGAIN!!! The guy at the sewing maching shop also told me that with the insul-brite I need to make sure to keep the machine cleaned often and all of the other advice above that was given to me. I also ask him about the timing. He told that if my stitches aren't skipping then it is not the timing. This was great news. So far so good. Thanks for all of your help. I have learned alot through all of this.