Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine needles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-needles-t199943.html)

pinecone 09-08-2012 03:27 PM

sewing machine needles

I have many sewing machines and have read on here recommendations as to the size needle. One such post was about the Singer 99 using a 15x1 or Singer #2020. What do the numbers refer to? I noticed my Singer 6235 made a little "ting" sound and the needle seems to be tapping the bobbin case gently. I am using Singer brand needles but sometimes I use Organ. BTW, I have 11 machines that vary in vintage.

piney

pinecone 09-09-2012 02:55 PM

Bumping this back up. 121 views, anyone with info?

virtualbernie 09-09-2012 03:49 PM

Sorry, I'm one of the 121:o I thought someone more knowedgable than me would answer. I would compare the lengths of the needles and try the shorter one to see if you still have that clicking noise. I'd be concerned about the needle damaging my bobbin case. Also, make sure your needle is seated all the way up in the shaft.

irishrose 09-09-2012 04:42 PM

Did you put a new needle in the tinging one? It could have a slight bow in it. The machine could be out of timing, but I'd replace the needle first.

Most, if not all, Singers DSM use a 15X1 needle. They come in all kinds of points and weights which is where the other number comes into play. Sergers use a different needle. I use a size 11 sharp for my piecing and quilting.

barri1 09-09-2012 05:05 PM

I can't wait to hear some answers. For some reason I'm breaking the thread. I was using the same needle, and thread on another piece of a QAYG, but it has attitude, and therefore it is sitting on the machine, and I am sitting at the computer..

thepolyparrot 09-09-2012 06:07 PM

The 15 x 1, 705, 130 & HAx1 are all numbers for the same needle system - this is the needle used in most domestic sewing machines.

Singer's brand 15x1 sharps are labeled 2020 and their ball points are labeled 2045. (I don't know what their designation is for universals, because I don't buy Singer needles)

Thread breakage can be due to several issues, but you say you were sewing with the same needle and thread in another project, so something has changed between that project and this one - just gotta figure out what it is that's changed. Is the fabric a tighter weave on this project? Have you changed the bobbin tension? Is there something between the tension disks that's causing extra pressure or friction on the needle thread? What happens when you re-thread the machine? Anything? What happens when you change the needle for one that's one or two numbers larger?

thepolyparrot 09-09-2012 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by pinecone (Post 5500470)
I noticed my Singer 6235 made a little "ting" sound and the needle seems to be tapping the bobbin case gently.

Is that machine supposed to use a 15x1 needle, according to the manual? (I'm betting that it is)

If it's tinking the bobbin case, it may be that you aren't opening the slot all the way and pushing the needle up as high as it will go in the slot before clamping it back down. It's also possible that there is lint or "crud" packing the top of the needle slot, preventing it from seating as high up as it needs to be.

The other issue is hook/needle timing. There are a few machines I that I'm capable of timing, if I had to - but the 6235 isn't one of them. (That's a machine from the 80's, isn't it?)

If you check the seating of the needle and the slot is clear so you know it's up as high as it will go and you know that you have the correct class of needle, then you're going to have to dink around with the timing. I hope it's not that! Good luck!

virtualbernie 09-09-2012 06:16 PM

Another thought--have you changed the needle? It will make a thick, thick sound if the needle is dull.

pinecone 09-10-2012 05:46 PM

Irish Rose, I'll check to see if it has a slight bow.
Thepollyparrot, that is the correct size needle. I did check the manual. The 6285 has seen a lot of usage so I will take out the needle and see if there is lint packed above the needle, and yes, I bought it new around 1985. My first free-arm machine!
virtualbernie, I change my needles after every quilt and sometimes during, about 8 hours of sewing. (I put the used ones in an empty pill bottle for safety and buy them in packages of 25)
I went back and looked at all my needles and they are 15x1 or Singer 2020 - for woven material, 2021 - for light knits, 2026 - Jeans or 2045 - labeled "all knits"

Thanks for chiming in.

piney