Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machine repair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-repair-t106529.html)

sassey 03-10-2011 07:31 AM

Yesterday as I was sewing I started having all kinds of problems thread nests so I remembered things taught here on this thread rethread so I did that, change the needle did that,change tension did that humm still problems only now it is getting worse my material is getting caught and won't move either direction. Tug and pull 3 times got it loose all the time knowing I was going to break something. Well lets see their are 2 screws here and a screwdriver came with the machineaybe if I just take this plate off I can discover what is happening with this @@## machine.Ok now the screw driver is very short but still to tall to allow me to get in their and turn the screw. Whats a woman to do? wait tell this weekend when son is home have him fix it, of course not he is to busy and who wants to wait 2 days for their machine So off to the junk drawer to find something that will fit in their and turn the darn screws, after several tries finally found something that fit, well now in a matter of minutes I should be ready to sew once again well these hands with carpal tunnel, arthiritis and fibro don't want to turn the screw screw is so tight it must of been put in by a strong man because it won't budge, many many minutes what seemed like hours later finally got BOTH screws out, Well now what? I tell myself ya know dh also said leave anything mechannicaql for me you know you just can't do it, Well dh is gone to heven so JUST DO IT this should be easy right? Ok take out metal plate and plastic thing around bobbin what no visable lint or thread? there should be shouldn't their? well take q tip qipe out anyway , and put the darn thing back together, easier said then done. first try to put in backwards won't work, turn around look everything over well This part came out last so has to go in first right, ok try to get screw holes lined up still won't go in , cuss a little that always helps don't it? Try some more Think about what dh would say oh well try again you took it apart you can do it , try some more Wow it finally worked yeah, now put the other part back on it goes right on yeah now get the screws back in only don't get them so tight ya know you will probably screwed up something and will have to take it all apart again, ok all done now take time make sure you thread the machine right the first time. Ok lets test it WHAT IT REALLY IS WORKING RIGHT?aybe I should go into sewing machine repair no but maybe I should get a manual for next time.

Grama Lehr 03-10-2011 07:34 AM

Sorry, I am not laughing at you, but I have been there, done that!!

LindaR 03-10-2011 07:36 AM

I use a penny on the screws on one of my machines cuz no way your going to get a screwdriver in that space...bottom line did dit work afterwards????

BellaBoo 03-10-2011 08:05 AM

Use a straight edge for the screws, a butter knife works pretty good, and you have the long handle for leverage. I bought a book titled: Sewing Machine Repair for the Home Sewer. It gives the basics for machine repair including setting the timing. I saw it on a machine repairman's work table some years ago and found it online to buy.

dolores 03-10-2011 08:07 AM

I use a nickel to unscrew mine. It seems that the nickel is a perfect fit for my screws. You don't have a lot of hand room and it is easy to use.They should make a screw driver with a bend in it like the allen wrench is made.

butterflywing 03-10-2011 09:12 AM

they do

Quiltforme 03-10-2011 02:15 PM

Yahoo!!! I love your story and how DH was right with you!! Good for you! I love how empowered I feel when I can fix my machine!! (honestly if my hubby tried to fix my machine I would have to get a new one oh wait I have a new idea "Honey can you fix my machine???") Happy dancing for you!

jljack 03-10-2011 02:20 PM

Good job!!! We women usually can figure things out when we don't have the DH hanging over our shoulders telling us we can't!! LOL :-)

milp04 03-10-2011 02:21 PM

Great job, good for you, you did it yourself!
Great writing down of the entire process.

Pam M

whinnytoo 03-10-2011 02:49 PM

you can get those little short stubby screwdrives online and they are great for sewing machines