Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines "that" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-%22%22-t116325.html)

RitaFaye 04-15-2011 09:41 AM

DO NOT pull the fabric into the feed dogs when starting off .......is there any machine out there that does not do this?. I I know there is a way to not have it do that by using material but that is the number one complaint about my machine- would like to find one that doesn't do it. thanks Rita

katier825 04-15-2011 09:43 AM

It doesn't happen so much if you use a single hole needle plate. See if one is available for your machine. Just remember to change it before you zigzag!

amma 04-15-2011 09:50 AM

That would be a great invention :D
In the mean time, Katier825 gave a great tip :D:D:D

katier825 04-15-2011 09:53 AM

Actually, my Viking Sapphire 830 doesn't do it much. I still like the single hole plate, just in case.

BKrenning 04-15-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
It doesn't happen so much if you use a single hole needle plate. See if one is available for your machine. Just remember to change it before you zigzag!

This is my experience, too. Starch helps with this problem, too. It makes the fabric stiffer and less likely to droop and catch in the hole. When it comes to triangles, though, all bets are off. All my machines eat triangles with or without single hole plates.

katieranch 04-15-2011 09:55 AM

All of mine do it, I use a leader cloth. The single hole plate works, just don't forget you have it on there!

JanetM 04-15-2011 09:55 AM

Often times all you need to do is change your needle. Dull needles will pull the fabric down into the throat plate instead of piercing the fabric. When is the last time you changed your needle???

Also, this is more likely to happen with thin, or sheer fabrics.

twistedstitcher 04-15-2011 09:58 AM

Neither my Janome 4800 or Juki TL-98E do it.

milp04 04-15-2011 10:19 AM

Hi RitaFaye,

Make sure that you have a sharp needle. This happens sometimes with sheer fabric. It is good to use a stabilizer to sew with sheers, this can be simple freezer type paper.

Also, some have mentioned using a single needle hole. I have not used one for many years. I like to be able to adjust my needle position so need a different plate.

The best way to avoid this is to simple use a leader cloth. This helps with the fabric pulling, the threads that you have, and make sewing chain style from block to block a simple task.

Also, another tip is to make sure that you have a hold of the upper and bobbin thread. By pulling the bobbin thread up, you then have a hold of both of the threads and then gently hold the fabric and guide it as you begin to sew and that should help.

Pam M

Maia B 04-15-2011 10:25 AM

I do sometimes get a thread booger on my Quest Plus, so I usexleaders and enders, but no gobbling. My Berninas and Pfaffs don't do it either. But a SS plate will definitely cure that.