Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machines That are Necessary to Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-necessary-quilting-t98086.html)

EllieGirl 02-09-2011 04:19 AM

I'm new to quilting and have completed two quilts. I have a Singer Essential and that's all. What do you consider a necessary machine to have for quilting? If you have more than one machine, why do you? Also is there a machine that isn't a long arm but has enough space to put maybe a toddler or twin size quilt under?

hobbykat1955 02-09-2011 04:46 AM

My first really good sewing machine was a Husqvarna Viking Lily 545 that I bought back in 2000. It has many build in decorative stitches and alphabet.
then in 2007 I decided I wanted to do embroidery so I bought a Husqvarna Viking SE which is a combo sewing/embroidery...LOVE IT...Has so many built in stitches for quilting, heirloom, deoorative etc...I'll never be able to use all of them. Well worth the money can't live without either machine.
and yes, you can quilt a lap/twin easily on these two machine.

Hen3rietta 02-09-2011 04:50 AM

I like my Brother single stitch 1500. It only does straight stitching but has a larger throat area. I can comfortably machine quilt up to a twin. In fact the machine came with a quilting frame and I took it off and now use it table top style.

Diana

sandyo 02-09-2011 04:51 AM

You really only need your sewing machine. It depends on how fancy you want your stitches and what you want to accomplish as you get more into it. I would suspect most quilters just use their sewing machine. I have an embroidery machine but has very little to so with quilting. Also have a back up old machine for emergency. I do not have long arm, to expensive and not sure where I would set it up. Do all my quilting on my regular machine. A long arm would be fun though, maybe I will get to try one someday.

LoisN 02-09-2011 04:53 AM

I have a Janome 2010 which is not an expensive home sewing machine. I have machine quilted a queen-size quilt on it. Just got done with a twin. When machine quilting, I roll up the right side of the quilt and start quilting in the middle of the quilt and unroll as I go toward the right side of the quilt. It's doable. I do have a great extension tabletop to my left to hold the rest of the quilt. Bottom line...you don't need a fancy machine. Hope this helps.

JulieR 02-09-2011 05:04 AM

I have a good old regular Singer sewing machine from the early 90s, and it does everything I need it to do. I've quilted full sized quilts on it before, and will be doing a queen here shortly.

I have another Singer from the 80s that someone just gave me last week, and I have a machine from the 40s that I haven't set up yet, but neither of those is essential to me. I'm going to wait and see what the older one is like before assigning either of them duties.

If you are ready or want to invest in a higher-end machine, there are several great ones out there. But don't think you have to have something special to turn out special work. :)

debbieoh 02-09-2011 05:05 AM

Great info will be sure to keep watching this thread

winia 02-09-2011 05:11 AM

Sewing machines with all of the bells and whistles are great. However, they are not necessary. What is necessary is a sewing machine that sews really well, but more important is the skill of the individual operating the machine. If you can't sew, bells and whistles aren't going to help that. I would suggest staying with the machine you have and honing your quilting sewing skills, and then maybe sometime down the line getting an upgrade.

Baysidegal 02-09-2011 05:31 AM

I have a Brother C-6000i. I just love it for piecing. I keep a walking foot on an old Kenmore that is heavy and so dependable. It makes it easier for me so that I do not have to completely switch out my worktable when I want to quilt a lap top or larger. I bring my quilt and Kenmore to the dining room table and use that space. I do quilt little things with my Brother though.

ginnie6 02-09-2011 05:38 AM

I've only been quilting two years but I have a Singer Rocketeer that is my main machine. My dd's just bought it for me as an early bday present. Before that I had an old White machine. I'm trying fmq on a full size quilt right now on the rocketeer and so far so good. I seriously doubt I will ever have a new expensive machine again. I had a kenmore that at 12 years died....it was top of the line when we bought it and did embroidery. Now i would love to have another machine set up just for the quilting part and keep my rocketeer for piecing and whatever.