Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machines Styles and brands (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-styles-brands-t147152.html)

Dayamoon 08-22-2011 05:01 PM

Hi, I havn't been on in a long time and I just spent the day on the computer looking at all kinds of sewing machines. It is unbelievable what is out there. I am curious-What machines do you have and use-Name model- What is it you love and hate about each of them? I don't have thousands of dollars to spend but I am a quilter and that is what I want to use it for. Thanks in advance for all the input.

lots2do 08-22-2011 05:06 PM

Lots of us in my quilt guild have Janomes of all different price options and styles. What makes it so appealing to us is that we have a wonderful dealer who isn't pushy and is very helpful. A good dealer you can trust is worth so much, in my opinion and experience. Ask people you trust ahead of time. There is a dealer that is about three minutes away from me and noone I know is happy with him/her. I don't know how he/she stays in business. It really does make a difference.

spinnergs 08-22-2011 05:08 PM

I had vikings for years but the tension was always a problem for anything other than a straight and zigzag stitch. I bought a Bernina and love it for everything!

Chicca 08-22-2011 05:13 PM

I have the 301a Singer that I love for straight stitching and a Sears Kenmore model 385 that is fabulous with all of the fancy stitches and learning FMQ. Good luck in choosing!

hopetoquilt 08-22-2011 05:13 PM

I have the Babylock Quilter's Choice. Love it. Only wish the throat was bigger.

When looking for a machine, I would also look for something with the largest throat you can get, possibly a stitch regulator, bobbin empty warning light, top loading bobbin?, feed dogs that drop, a walking foot, an open toe or closed toe darning foot (depending on your preference), knee lift, self-threading...

Try the machines and see if you like them.

Dolphyngyrl 08-22-2011 05:18 PM

Brother XL-3500i
pros: lightweight(good for class)
nice stitching
economical
cons: small harp
no needle up/down feature
have to cover feed dogs
Love this machine, there's not too much I don't like about this machine, great for piecing, starting out new as a quilter, doesn't hurt the pocket book, but the down is that once you've driven the mercedes benz of your brand its hard to sew with such limited features

Babylock Espire
pros: needle up-down
pivoting feature
knee lift for presser foot
adjustable presser foot pressure and height
automatic tension adjuster(great for FMQ)
lots of accessories
lots of decorative stitching
speed control
quiet
cons: price cost me 1800 dollars

Love everything about this machine, well worth the investment in my opinion. I did a payment plan to make it more affordable to me. I would say for the first 6 months I didn't really use the machine a little intimidating, but now I won't use anything else unless its in the shop

newbee3 08-22-2011 05:22 PM

I have vikings one is quilt designer 2 and the other is topaz 30 love both of them. My dealer is also very good.

cctx. 08-22-2011 05:25 PM

401A Singer
301A Short-Bed
301A Long-Bed
Kenmore Vintage
Janome
Singer Serger

Maia B 08-22-2011 06:13 PM

Bernina, Bernina, Bernina!!! Worth every cent in precision, power, and performance. My Berninas are Trouble-free, easy to learn and use workhorses. I started with a vintage 930 that I bought here, then I was hooked. Next I got a used 440 from my dealer. Now I've got a new 820. They do not disappoint. No trouble going over thick seams. Excellent stitch quality. Another machine I can personally recommend that has excellent quality for a lower price is the Baby Lock Quest Plus. It's $999 at my nearest dealer since it's been replaced by the Serenade. The Quest Plus has built-in dual feed, beautiful perfect stitches, comes with many extras like the extension table and straight stitch plate, and really compares favorably with more expensive machines.

auntpiggylpn 08-22-2011 07:06 PM

Janome all the way!!!! High dollar or bottom dollar, will always be my machine of choice!