Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machines - what do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-what-do-you-use-t116.html)

Donna 11-22-2006 09:33 PM

GeeGee, love your avatar.

Donna

LinK 11-23-2006 06:44 AM

I have a Bernina QE153 and a Kenmore-not sure of the model, and too lazy to go look right now, :lol: but it's not computorized. I have put away the Bernina. Long story, but lots of problems with the "service/repair guy" and am looking for a new guy. So far, I love the Kenmore-it is doing what I need to do. I've only had it a few weeks.

BarbC 11-23-2006 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by LinK
but lots of problems with the "service/repair guy" and am looking for a new guy.

I think this is a common problem. I have a Kenmore that is 4 or 5 years old. I had trouble with it constantly. I would have to take it to the Sears service center.. they would send it off.. 3 weeks later it would come back "fixed"... work for a week of two and then we would start all over again. It was a total pain. I finally just put it aside, bought my "cheap" Brother and forgot about it. Last spring I took my Brother to a local sewing machine place to be serviced and my husband suggested I take the Kenmore also. The guy fixed it for $60 and it has been working like a dream. I have used it some for piecing, but it is pretty much my daughter's machine now. Barb

LinK 11-23-2006 08:40 AM

We do have a guy that advertises that he works on computorized machines, so after the holidays, I will take it to him. The guy had my machine the whole month of June-I thought to service it, but then after servicing, he sent it back with a note that wasn't point out to me, that the bushing needed to be replaced. I noticed the note after I got home. This guy takes the machines for a week from where I live to another town. So I had to take it back the following week for him to fix. It took 2 more weeks because he said it was so hard to put things back together. I asked him why he didn't call me when he first had the machine to tell me it needed a part and he said, he didn't think about it! I also have a cheap Brother about 30 years old that is fine for piecing, but not good for quilting. It gets tired real fast. That's why i bought a Kenmore. Plus, I've heard good things about them. One of my sisters has one and it does great. She don't quilt, though, just does some sewing.

Minda 11-23-2006 02:26 PM

I have a Bernina 730 and a Janome 6500. I love them both but use the Bernina more because it has a stitch regulator. I also have a Bernina 230 that I take to workshops and classes. I won a computerized Janome at a local quilt shop this year, but I gave it to my 8 year old granddaughter. She's learning to quilt and is excited about having her own machine.

SewSew2 11-24-2006 06:48 AM

I have a Pfaff for sewing and a Bernina Deco 650 for embroidery. I am wanting a new embroidery for Christmas. I want the Janome but no dealer in my town so may have to settle for the Bernina . Both the Janome and Bernina hooks into computer which is an added feature on the new modles.How I with for the Janome but know I will need help on things so best I go with the Bernina as we have a great dealer here.
The Deco embrodierys great but want the larger field that both offers.

Minda 11-24-2006 02:56 PM

My Bernina 730 does embroidery also, but I haven't really done much embroidery on it - just quilting. I would like to do more but I'm not very confident about machine embroidery. I guess I need to take some classes.

GeeGee 11-24-2006 08:04 PM

Thanks Donna, That's my newest DGS born August 14th of this year! He was so tiny...believe it or not, he's laying in his Momma's hand :shock: :mrgreen:

foxxigrani 11-25-2006 06:39 AM

Hi all.

I have a old Bernina 930 and love it. I have had it since it came out in the 80's. I use it for everything. I would love to have one of the newer machines, but everytime I think I need one and something is coming up that I could get one. I talk myself out of it. I have this great machine that does everything that I need and can do, why do I want a fancy one that will take me in forever to figure out? Thats my argument anyway. I am going to go and look at some new ones but I am sure I will stick with my old work horse.

I also have two real old and I do mean old, they are older than my hubby by far, 1938, featherweight and a machine a yr newer that looks like the featherweight but weighs a ton more. One in the carrying case and one in cabinet. They both sew like a charm. I love them. I take the featherweight where ever I go that might have electricity. My hubby in the fall goes to a lot of conventions for his hobby, I go to some with him, sew while I am there. Its so much fun. I love it. Its like going to a sewing retreat to me.

So thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Rita

Stitches 11-25-2006 11:23 AM

Hi all,

I have just now registered :D I have two sewing machines. My newest one is a Baby Lock- Quilters Choice. I have had this machine only for a couple of months now but I really love it! My second machine is a Kenmore. This was my 3rd Kenmore and I never had any problems with any of them. I just wanted something that would have all the newest gadgets and was computerized. Besides the Baby Lock is so much fun, I only wish I could have afforded the one with the embroidery functions. Maybe somewhere down the line. Happy Quilting,
Stitches