Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing strips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-strips-t124070.html)

nikki128 05-18-2011 03:58 PM

Hi all I was wondering if there are any tips for sewing less than 2" strips together. It seems they always turn out crooked on me. Thanks for the help :)

dakotamaid 05-18-2011 04:01 PM

Alternate the ends when you are sewing. Once you stitch 2 strips together, start the next strip from the end you just finished.

OOps, do you mean thin,thin strips? No majic, just be very careful and perhaps use a guide for seam allowance. Also, a straight stitch throat plate.

nikki128 05-18-2011 04:03 PM

Thanks

eastermarie 05-18-2011 04:14 PM

If possible, start with the middle and sew from both ends alternately. Place a strip of blue painters tape to the right of the needle marking where you will line up the fabric each time to sew will also help.

DogHouseMom 05-18-2011 04:18 PM

Did a TON of 1" strips. Not all of them were perfect, but it was not bad.

Use a walking foot - it keeps the top fabric from shifting.
If your sewing several together alternate the direction. I always leave the threads at the beginning long and trim the end thread close so I know which end I started at last.

Try a glue stick to match the pieces instead of pins.

Make sure your 1/4" is accurate all the way down. Lay it on your cutting mat to make sure it's still straight edge to edge. Measure the seam with your ruler to make sure the 1/4" is in the same place all the way down.

When you iron it make sure you don't stretch it. You can cut it perfect, sew it perfect and ruin it all when you iron it. First set the seams flat (I set on both sides), then open it at the center and press (just lay the iron on it), then just to the right of center, then to the left of center, back to the right - etc - until you've pressed it end to end.

When done ironing, measure it again.

suebee 05-18-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
Alternate the ends when you are sewing. Once you stitch 2 strips together, start the next strip from the end you just finished.

OOps, do you mean thin,thin strips? No majic, just be very careful and perhaps use a guide for seam allowance. Also, a straight stitch throat plate.

Im with you, sewing from one end, next strip...sew from the other end. Makes a huge difference!

connie_1936 05-18-2011 10:01 PM

starch,starch, starch and the above advice

leatheflea 05-19-2011 03:20 AM

Shorten your stitch length and lower your tension. Starching helps, stacking and pressing the two strips before sewing.

nikki128 05-19-2011 03:23 AM

Wow ... thanks I'm going to try all of your tips. I knew I would get help here.

Now I just need to get my hands on an alto cutter. I had a lead on a used one but that seems to have fizzled :(

Just Me... 05-19-2011 05:11 AM

Press with strip set perpindicular to you rather than longways.