Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The sewing witch is here tonight and I can't get rid of her! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-witch-here-tonight-i-cant-get-rid-her-t28347.html)

Hunnib 11-07-2009 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Have you ever had a spool of thread break completely in half??

I set my machine up for free motion quilting and practiced for a few minutes to make sure my stitching was ok. Then I started filling bobbins so I could start quilting my Garden Tiles quilt. I no sooner got the second bobbin filled and the entire spool broke completely in half! I've never seen anything like it.

The thread is Madiera Aerofil. It's a brand new spool! Well, so much for getting this thing quilted this weekend.

The only other thread I have that comes close to the color I need for the backing of this quilt is Isacord embroidery thread. I wonder if it would be ok to use instead???

Shemjo 11-07-2009 07:18 PM

OMG! I have never seen that happen to anyone, least of all to me! So sorry!

SulaBug 11-07-2009 07:20 PM

No Way!! :( I am sure this
is one of the most unusual
things I have ever seen!!

Scissor Queen 11-07-2009 07:22 PM

Weird.

It would be gremlins though and not witches.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-07-2009 07:22 PM

How is that even possible??? :shock:

Hunnib 11-07-2009 07:39 PM

That's why I posted a picture...I was like who in the world is going to believe this! I was holding the very end with my left hand and used my fingers on my right hand to just barely touch and guide the thread. I've done it a million times. Just as the bobbin was filled I went to cut the thread and it felt funny and I looked down and it was broken in half! I never once felt any friction.LOL!

I just hate that it's Saturday night and I only have two bobbins filled and I had planned on staying up late to quilt. :(

chattyK 11-07-2009 07:45 PM

That's really crazy. I'd take the spool with me and ask for a replacement at the store.

Hunnib 11-07-2009 07:46 PM

One good thing came out of tonight's sewing though. I tried a new product that I bought recently called "SewSlip". You can see it at www.sewslip.com although I bought mine from my local quilt shop. It helps your quilt glide under the needle when doing free motion quilting. I have back trouble and I thought maybe it would help me not have to fight the quilt so much so I could sew longer at a sitting. It's well worth the money!

Lostn51 11-07-2009 09:06 PM

For a second there I thought you were talking about my wife being at your house! :mrgreen:

I have never seen one break like that but it does not surprise me at all with the way these companies are trying to save a buck. The bad thing is that there is a lot of thread that may be going to waste now. :(

Billy

wvdek 11-07-2009 09:36 PM

I think the sewing witch is having a good laugh over this one. Never seen anything like that.