Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing with young children? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-young-children-t115258.html)

jbud2 04-11-2011 09:58 AM

My GD (3 1/2) loves to help me! Scrappy string quilts - she hands me the next piece. She pulls pins. She snips threads. Start them young !

Foxflower 04-11-2011 10:20 AM

Hm, I like string quilts...good idea.

nycquilter 04-11-2011 12:40 PM

my daughter used to have to stand up to sew on my machine--sitting meant she couldn't reach the pedal. I think she was 4 or 5 and already able to sew independently. My god-daughter, now 9, loves to sew too. I started the little ones out by letting them play in my scrap box.

Quiltforme 04-11-2011 09:41 PM

My son started quilting when he was 3. He used panels and layered and cut. He sat on my lap as I push the pedal. Now he is 5 and has his own machine and just goes with it!

amyjo 04-11-2011 10:15 PM

Have we got any quilts yet from the kids for display? I have another box to send but it is hard for me to carry it up to the car so it will have to wait until the road dries enough so I can drive in and out with my car. I sure like the name "BLACK PEARL". She really sews a nice seam and if she would just quit making that little noise underneath we would be all set to go.

Annaquilts 04-11-2011 10:20 PM

I used to have a sling on and a child in it when sewing. Also for your two year old you can get a piece of paper or a box, a glue stick and some of your scraps. They can glue them on paper or the box. The box can be a garage for those little metal cars or a bed for a doll/stuffed animal.

Originally Posted by Foxflower
My children, 5 and 2, always want to "help" when I am sewing/piecing. My 2 year old wants to sit on my lap when I'm sewing. He's fascinated with pins too, so much so that he once put a bunch in my machine! I let him take pins out as I sew along and we practice the names of colors with the pin heads. My 5 year old wants to learn to sew. I've started her out with hand-stitching. Does anybody else sew with a child on your lap or have any tips for sewing with kids, or how to involve very young kids in the process? Oh, and the 2 year old loves my scrap bags.

Foxflower 04-12-2011 07:31 AM

I like that, and he would love it....cutting, glueing, scraps, and tractors, trucks, etc. I'm going to have to try that too! Thanks

chairjogger 04-12-2011 07:34 AM

my little one used "Pothold" like the smurfs used the word "smurf" for everything. was making potholders for Christmas gifts.

I miss that little boy, he is now 31 and in the miltary.

enjoy your little ones.. just like little old ladies would tell me.. they grow up so fast.. so on the back side of that comment and understand.

:)

redmadder 04-12-2011 07:37 AM

GS has been sewing on my lap when I visit since he was about 18 months old. Now he can regulate the pedal standing next to the machine while I guide the fabric. He's 7 and his Dad just noticed we do this. How observant.

Foxflower 04-12-2011 07:47 AM

LOL! He was probably too busy watching sports.

I do love my little ones. I think I'll get braver about letting them help with the peddle and learning to sew. I just knew I couldn't be the only one sewing with kids on my lap!

A quilt-shop owner told me she likes the Janome for kids because of the speed regulator. Anybody else have an opinion of what machine is best for kids to learn on?