Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shadow Hand Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shadow-hand-quilting-t80031.html)

Blinky 12-01-2010 06:19 PM

To make a long story short :roll: I am going to rip out a machine quilted quilt that was quilted not so well to be nice. I want to do shadow hand quilting around the hand needle turn applique. I seen an example of shadow quilting. How do you measure the rows of the hand quilting around the applique to make the rows of quilting even? It looks like the rows are about a half to an inch wide of hand quilting.

ptquilts 12-01-2010 06:44 PM

I would just eyeball it, I'm sure it will look nice.

thimblebug6000 12-01-2010 06:50 PM

Do you mean shadow or echo quilting?

Borntohandquilt 12-01-2010 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think you are talking about echo quilting like it's very often done on the Hawaiian Quilts around the big appiqué areas?!
I've used it some times as background quilting around quilting motives, you can see it on the picture on the plain block with the quilted True Lover's Knot. The distance between the quilting lines are about 1/4 inch.

quilterella 12-02-2010 01:46 AM

I love that type of quilting. I usually use a designated mark on my walking foot. If it is lg pieces I use about 3/8", and if it is small pieces I use between 1/4 & 1/8". Looking forward to seeing pictures of your finished work.

feline fanatic 12-02-2010 06:23 AM

Oh Andrea, that quilt is beautiful. I always love your hand quilting.

Regarding echo quilting, I too find it easiest to eyeball it but I have on occasion used small pieces of 1/4" painters tape to put to help me guage it. Another trick I use quite often is the width of my pinky fingernail. Only works though, if your nail is long enough to touch the surface of the quilt without interference from your pinky finger. My pinky nail is just about a 1/4" wide.

Borntohandquilt 12-02-2010 06:30 AM

I always eyeball the distances between the quilting lines and never mark them. I think I have taken this distance in myself somehow....

Blinky 12-02-2010 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone, I am trying to attach a pdf of a picture of the quilt that I want to hand quilt and I don't know if it is echo or shadow quilting? Hope you can open the pdf to see it. These was a sample quilt hung in a quilt shop....and I have made this pattern and can't afford to have it custom quilted so I want to try to hand quilt it.

Dressed for Dinner shadow or echo quilting ?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]137217[/ATTACH]

feline fanatic 12-02-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blinky
Hi Everyone, I am trying to attach a pdf of a picture of the quilt that I want to hand quilt and I don't know if it is echo or shadow quilting? Hope you can open the pdf to see it. These was a sample quilt hung in a quilt shop....and I have made this pattern and can't afford to have it custom quilted so I want to try to hand quilt it.

Yes, this is definitely echo quilting. Beautiful quilt too.

Blinky 12-02-2010 11:41 AM

Thanks!!