Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Share your Quilting Tips with us (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/share-your-quilting-tips-us-t134305.html)

Deborahlees 07-01-2011 08:19 AM

when I start a new pattern/project I make myself a cheat sheet (on an index card). with colors and sizes and block numbers....of everything I need to cut..
Easier to follow some times than the complex pattern where everything is on a different page....

QuiltE 07-01-2011 09:49 AM

DeborahLees comment .... when I start a new pattern/project I .... made me think of this ................

When I start a new project, I set all the fabric aside for that project and do not use any of it for anything else, until I know the project is totally done. Not even a smidgeon of it. That way I have no regrets later should I shift gears and want to vary from the pattern a wee bit, extend a border .... or do a coordinating item. Sometimes it's annoying though, as right now I am tempted to dig into some fabric I have in my Basket WIP, but keep saying noooooo!

Deborahlees 07-01-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
DeborahLees comment .... when I start a new pattern/project I .... made me think of this ................

When I start a new project, I set all the fabric aside for that project and do not use any of it for anything else, until I know the project is totally done. Not even a smidgeon of it. That way I have not regrets later should I shift gears and want to vary from the pattern a wee bit, extend a border .... or do a coordinating item. Sometimes it's annoying though, as right now I am tempted to dig into some fabric I have in my Basket WIP, but keeping saying noooooo!

good idea !!!!

sarahrachel 07-01-2011 10:25 AM

Don't know how great of a tip this is, but since I usually have a few projects going at once, odd how they all finish around the same time, I keep them in gift bags with everything I need, the pattern, pieces, the tread I'm using, backing if I have it, and any special quilting pattern sheets. Then I have a seperate basket with needles, extra thread and bobbins, scissors, thimble, chalk, anything that I need. Then when I want to work on something, I just grab the bag and the basket and I know I'll have everything I need!

craftybear 07-01-2011 10:27 AM

great tip to use the gift bags that way everyone is all in one place

I used the zipper bags that sheets comes in

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
Don't know how great of a tip this is, but since I usually have a few projects going at once, odd how they all finish around the same time, I keep them in gift bags with everything I need, the pattern, pieces, the tread I'm using, backing if I have it, and any special quilting pattern sheets. Then I have a seperate basket with needles, extra thread and bobbins, scissors, thimble, chalk, anything that I need. Then when I want to work on something, I just grab the bag and the basket and I know I'll have everything I need!