Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   shared the bug (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shared-bug-t49176.html)

sahm4605 06-10-2010 05:03 PM

I think that I might have done a bad thing to day. I had been talking with a mommy friend earlier this week and she had said that she was wanting to make a blanket or buy a blanket for her daughters birthday. She would buy one but they were so expencive and the cheep ones just fall apart. well i told her that if she wanted to I would help her make a duvet cover for one of the blankets that she already had. We went to Jo Anns yesterday and picked out the fabric and I told her that today I would go to her house and help her cut and sew to get her started. With 4 children running around under foot we toiled and toiled and got it almost done. It took almost all day but we are getting there. She just has to finish sewing the squares together and then cut and add a boarder. Then put on a backing and buttons. then she will be done. She was so excited that she was making her daughter a blanket for her bed. I think that I have given her the quilting bug. She told me that if she would have seen what we were doing before she started she wouldn't have wanted to do it because it would have been too hard. but she was glad that she is doing it. she was having so much fun. She even wants to get a rotary cutter and a mat for cutting fabric. I will have to see if she will let me take a pic when she is done to share with all of you. for her first attempt at cutting, and sewing with a sewing machine she did very well.

She has a machine that was given to her by a lady at church who is an avid sewer/quilter. I tried to show her how to use it but I was having real trouble with the tension so we just used mine that I had brought with me. She is borrowing her moms sewing machine to finish it up.

She picked out three colors of fabric for the squares and one for a boarder. she will probably just use a bed sheet for the backing. which is fine seeing how it is for a little girl. she can always rip apart the backing and make a real quilt later.
:mrgreen: :lol: :oops:

sweet 06-10-2010 05:32 PM

I hear that bug is going around. I think the cure is a trip to a fabric store.

dkabasketlady 06-10-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sweet

That's what my doctor recommends,lol!!

Oklahoma Suzie 06-10-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sweet

so, that's the cure? I had no idea.

CarrieAnne 06-10-2010 05:53 PM

I better make a trip there too, for preventative measures!

sahm4605 06-10-2010 05:55 PM

she was thinking about adding another color to the blanket. which would call for another run at the fabric store. hehe

Jim's Gem 06-10-2010 06:38 PM

Great job!!! I keep trying to pass it along too...

Gal 06-11-2010 01:00 AM

Great story, thanks for sharing, I was wondering what was wrong with me lately, 'need a fabric fix'!!!!

Gal

Chele 06-11-2010 03:49 AM

Oh my, you've created a monster, I mean a quilter! Tell her to go ahead and clear a space for her sewing area and stash. I tell you these fabric companies should be paying us for spreading the bug! ;)

dsb38327 06-11-2010 03:56 AM

You do such nice things. I always enjoy your post and reading about the things you do for others. I can see you helping her while she tried to split her attention span on your voice and the children. That is never easy. Yet you did so much in one day and with someone who didn't know where to insert the key to start the car!! Good job.. You rock!
Hope she let's us see the quilt.
Regards, Dorothy